We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for october half term?

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Best place to stay for october half term?

We are looking to go for october half term, (for us it will be from the 20th Oct). We are meeting up with friends who will be travelling out mid week due to their school hols!

Which area will remain open at this time of year? We definitley want to visit Fethiye but not sure whether to stay in fethiye, chalis or olu deniz?

we will have children with us between 5 and 15 and may have to go AI due to restricted budgets! Any suggestions welcome!

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 176
1. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

You will find everywhere open in Hisaronu and although quieter, Olu deniz, (air games are usually around this time in which case busy!) both holiday resorts good for children. Olu Deniz has the beach but Hisaronu is only a 10 minute dolmus trip and prices tend to be a little cheaper there.

I am not sure if going AI will save you any money, there is plenty of choice of very reasonable restaurants in Hisaronu and Olu Deniz.

Fethiye is a working town so does not close.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 60
2. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

Calis Beach will also be very much open particularly as it's half term. There are lots of peole who live in Calis Beach so it's not a purpose built holiday resort. Some of the Hotels are as little as £13.00 per night B.&.B. and you can eat out very cheaply Kebaps from 5 lira. A wide choice of restaurants with so much to choose from. There is an Aqua Park in Calis for the kids.

It's a lovely trip on the Water Taxi from Calis to Fethiye takes 35-40 minutes and costs 5 lira, or get a dolmus for around 2 lira. Calis is about 5 miles from Fethiye, where, as said before, everything will be open as it's a working town.

As you may know the latest James Bond movie was filmed on the beach at Calis. If you are lucky you may see the dolphins in the bay or even the turtles which come onshore at Calis to lay their eggs in September.

manchester
3. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

Thanks for your replies. I have been looking at Calis, and did find some absolute bargains for self catering or bed and breakfast (which is what we prefer). However, our friends will be joining us later in the week and they prefer all inclusive so they know their budget. Can you recommend any reasonably priced AI that are close to town so we can get out and about the first half of the week?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
4. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

The problem with AI's is they are not in town's they are remote. So, there are no AI's near Calis Beach. The nearest one is the Majesty Tuana which is about 15 miinutes by car and totally alone. We had friend's staying there in September and we went out to collect them on the first night, after that,they caught taxi's to Calis and told us they wish they had of stayed in Calis. They did not enjoy the AI and found the food very much the same. Funny thing was they kept coming to Calis and eating out with us at the local restaurants. The other problem is the Dolmus that stops at the Majesty does not stop in Calis, it goes straight to Fethiye. The is an AI in Fethiye called the Letoonia, again it's not close to Calis but you can get a water taxi from Letoonia over to Fethiye, the do charge for the water taxi, it has restricted hours, so stops early in the evening and as it's small, it can get packed very quickly.

It can work out cheaper to stay B.&.B. and eat out. I know lots of people who stayed AI in the area (including us) who found it cheaper to go B.&.B.

Edited: 7:45 am, January 27, 2013
manchester
5. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

I agree. We find all inclusive really restricting and end up breaking out most of the time. I think I will try and talk them around. Is food and drink expensive in calis? We stayed in kalkan a few years ago and found that prices had really shot up, not so much for food but for efes, which we drink a fair amount of! It is also the price of soft drinks for the kids that all adds up. Can you recommend any good hotels or apartments with good sized pool for kids and in a good cental location? Thanks again

Tyne and Wear
reviews: 39
6. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

If you are on a budget take a look on Travel Republic, staying in Hisaronu. There are some good deals for all inclusive around £300 for 2 adults and 2 children for one week. It is only a short dolmus ride to Olu Deniz and Fethiye.

I personnally have not stayed all inclusive there as I always stay in a villa in nearby Ovacik in peak season.

Out of season I often go All Inclusive in Icmeler, (going again this year in April) and really it is each to their own depending what your budget is. Also I did visit Hisaronu once in October a few years back staying self catering and found a lot of restaurants were closing down for the season as the week went on.

Having said that I find it is quite cheap to eat out and drink in some great restaurants/bars, but can get expensive when you have children with you.

manchester
7. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

We have been to Turunc, several times in october half term, and each day more things have closed down. I think that is why I was tempted to be near Fethiye as it is more of a working town. Have you found any good all inclusive in Icmeler? Maybe a little more open there than Turunc!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
8. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

We always have a trip to Kalkan it's a lovely place, but it is IMO very expensive. We paid double the price for the same meal in Kalkan as we ate in Calis Beach Prom. Also noted a tee shirt bought in Fethiye was double in Kalkan and the exchange rate in the morning we left Calis was 2.85 in Kalkan in was 2.75.

It's not expensive to eat out in Calis Beach. i.e. we went to the Guitar Bar a restaurant with entertainment every night. We had a couple of drinks a starter and main course (which I could not finish) it was 48 lira for the two of us. Go to T.A. reviews where I have put some images of the Guitar Bar. You can eat cheaply in Calis as I said 5 lira for a kebab. Average prices for a meal for two from 48 lira to around 80 lira.

Hotels I would recommend. The Mutlu (on the prom), The Oykun, The Golden Moon (both near the prom) The Nevada Su and the Tugay (10 minutes from the prom) The Harman (20 minutes from the prom). However, the most popular places do fill up quickly, so do not hang about.

To get lots and lots of information about Calis Beach go to the Calis Beach Forum and join for free I found this an invaluable place to source things when we first went to Calis it's a mine of information.

www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/default.asp (Don't worry about the title o "Farcebook" it's just a joke at the moment)

manchester
9. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

Thanks for that. I will take a look at those and price it all up. I will take a look at the forum too. Glad to hear the prices are cheaper than Kalkan!!

Durham, United...
reviews: 16
10. Re: Best place to stay for october half term?

Cocoa,The hotel Vela is in the centre of Icmeler overlooking the new square and fountains.

Its AI and available with Jet2 and their prices seem reasonable.

There are lots restaurants are just outside the hotel should you fancy a change on night.

Its also about 5-10 minutes walk to the beach which has free sunbeds.