We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Fethiye area

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
staffs
reviews: 99
Driving in Fethiye area

I have seen car hire is very reasonable in Turkey. People keep putting me off saying it is very dangerous to drive there and Turkey has a high accident rate. I have travelled in Turkey but only transfers and the roads looked okay. I don't understand why it would be more dangerous than anywhere else. What do you thnk have you hired cars there and was it dangerous to drive about.

Scotland
reviews: 24
1. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

Never driven there but as you say it looks no more dangerous than anywhere else and it will get you to places you might not see otherwise and will give you that bit more freedom.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 41
2. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

İ do not think it is so much more dangerous, the only thing is the Turkish people are not so keen on following rules like speed limits and safety belt. So an accident can have more serious consequences.

The roads have improved a lot all along the coast, actually the all Western part for sure that İ know off. İ still have to go passed Cappadocia!

My opinion, rent a good car, drive defensive, drive on the right side of the road (you will find Turks prefer to drive in the middle :-), check at traffic lights where you want to turn right if you can (that is allowed in Turkey), check speed limits, and be careful in the evening as animals can wander around. Not only dogs and cats, but İ saw wild boar one night on the Hisarönü Kayaköy road. There is a lot of them around.

İn Fethiye it is easy, in the town you can park along the road. You will get a ticket on your car. As you leave you have to call one of the boys with a turquoise blue t shirt. You pay to him. Or there is a big carpark near the harbor. For long term parking that works out cheaper.

At last, İ think renting a car is a good idea, you are very flexible and it is so easy to drive to the more remote places in the close area. The area is beautiful! İ am still exploring in winter time when it is our time off!

Hope this helps, good luck!

Kayakoy, Turkey
reviews: 2
3. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

It's no more dangerous than any other country provided that you always expect the unexpected.

If you've driven on the "wrong" side of the road before, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Just be aware that the use of the horn in Turkey is almost compulsory. Unlike in the UK, using your horn in Turkey will not result in you getting stabbed or shot. The horn is used to let other road users know that you are there, that the traffic lights are about to change, the lights have changed, you're changing lanes, it's a nice day, they should get out of the way 'cos you're coming through etc etc.

Also be aware that Turks don't generally recognise pedestrian crossings and that if you stop to allow someone to cross there's a good chance that you'll be rear-ended...............and it'll be your fault.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
4. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

KKOB, there are now billboards all over Fethiye to stop the honking! İt did not work yet, maybe the next generation!

Fethiye, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 10
5. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

VR & KKOB have covered most of the important bits.

the main one being - always expect the unexpected being the thing to expect at the least unexpected time.

Oh and along with the near continual use of their horn, there is one other car part that gets used for various reasons other than its main intention, and thats indicators, best thing is to totally ignores others who use them as often the direction they are going in will be different to their signal.

At junctions do not assume that a car in a particular lane will be turning in any particular direction he may just have chosen that lane as it was nearer the traffic lights, they have no idea where they are going, they were too busy on their mobile to realise they were so close to the junction, it was the least bumpy bit of road etc etc.....

Scotland
6. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

Lol FF , thak goodness I have no intention of hiring a car in the near future, for me its the dolmus or shanks pony! but I do think its a great way to get about for those who wish to

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
7. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

Well Alison, do not forget that the dolmus driver are Turkish too and some of them drive like mad. Nevertheless they seem to know what they do, or in a system where everybody is crazy the normal one is the dangerous one :-).

No, İ am joking, İ really do not think it is that bad at all, only the speeding and there is some funny transport on the road!

Good luck!

Scotland
8. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

You're right VR , that I did forget! but I do tend to look out the middle window at the scenery thus avoiding any full on scare scenes, lol., my driving at home is bad enough! so dont wan t to see anyone elses, lol

staffs
reviews: 99
9. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

I have now returned from Fethiye having hired a car (more later) and found the roads no problem. Turkish drivers are a law unto themselves so just beware, they don't do what you expect. Car Hire we hired a car from Cartrawlers and ended up with Erboy, on pickup we had a balance to pay which they wanted in cash, no way I said, credit card only, he then wanted 15% commission, no way I said, I would pay 2% max or would cancel the car. He accepted that but was trying to watch me put my pin number in. The car had done 78k the passenger door would not lock and the exhaust was loose, I doubt it was safe. I made sure I took photos of the car before hire and after hire to avoid any 'misunderstandings'. When we returned the car to the address given it was a petrol station with a cafe, no office.' Don't hire a car from them, they were very shady. I

London, United...
reviews: 52
10. Re: Driving in Fethiye area

Hey Alison, hope you had a great holiday!

If you're a bad driver at home you'll do just fine in turkey! It's great fun watching everyone doing as they please! Hubby doesn't think so but I think it's quite hilarious and settle in straight away (when in rome an all.....). Only problem was, as we had guests we had to hire a 10 seater. Which took some getting used to, especially the climbing onto higher ground, felt like we would never get there!

One thing I have to disagree with though, I wouldn't stick to the right hand lane, it's too frustrating!!! Cars seem to just stop in front of you wherever they wish (all the time!) without any warning even on the main roads!