We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rates

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fethiye, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 8
Exchange rates

Most of the regulars on here will probably be aware that the exchange rate at present is the highest its been for 18 months.

I have been asked by a few folk if I think it will go up any farther, I only wish I did know that - but sadly I don't (although I'm pretty good on answering questions on quantum physics)

For those going over later this year it might be worth while changing a few £s into Turkish Lira now, just in case the rate does drop again.

Personally I will not change any in the UK but will wait till I get over there - either way its a gamble - it will be interesting to see what the Lira does this year, as there are government elections and the Turkish interest rate has increased slightly.

Hebden Bridge...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Exchange rates

I posted this link previously elsewhere on the forums, but the article does provide some insight into the recent currency movements and their background, and is a decent overview for anyone interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11878532

"""Turkey is seeing more and more foreign investors piling into their country. Cheap money has fed mortgage debts and a construction boom, and that inflow of money is pushing up the value of the Turkish lira, making its exporters less competitive, and foreign imports cheaper for Turkish consumers. Sensibly invested, this foreign capital could help Turkey's economy become more productive. Indeed, the government has restarted its privatisation programme for just this reason."""

Colchester, United...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Exchange rates

Fethiyefraser

Do you know what exchange they are giving in Fethiye at the moment, as we are over in May and September and wondered wether we should change our money now, or some now in the Uk and wait until May?? it,s not normally a great rate when we arrive May time though..

longlegs

Marmaris, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
reviews: 12
3. Re: Exchange rates

rates changeable at the moment

now 2.56 t.l

Fethiye, Turkey
reviews: 4
4. Re: Exchange rates

Hi longlegs,

The exchange shop in Fethiye was offering exactly 2.50 lira to £1 yesterday.

Fethiye, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 8
5. Re: Exchange rates

For the normal summer visitor I would still stick to only taking over £20 worth of Turkish lira and changing the rest when needed locally.

But if you like a gamble then consider changing loads now -

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 17
6. Re: Exchange rates

I reckon FF if I had some extra now I would certainly try to exchange it as its a fair rate!! Sadly I dont have! As you say its a gamble but I think its still quite a fair rate!

Colchester, United...
7. Re: Exchange rates

Can anyone let me know what the rate is in Fethiye at the moment, it,s up to 2.46 here in the Uk with the post office, still waiting for the 2.50!!!

still debating if to but for our May/sept trips...

longlegs

East Ham
reviews: 5
8. Re: Exchange rates

Hi

I have took the gamble I bought some last week and some today from the Post Office. I had a few left over from last year so it has brought it up to 2.50.

Bobbie

Colchester, United...
9. Re: Exchange rates

AS you can see i am not a gambler!!!

Hubby keeps saying just buy them, but i am hopefully to get 2.5 in the UK very soon... or maybe i just need to go for it and get 2.46!!!

not much in it, you will probably all say...but what percentage do we change as you always get more for your money in Turkey??? or will it go down and not even be at 2.46 when we arrive!!!

Oh, it,s soooo hard...

East Ham
reviews: 5
10. Re: Exchange rates

Hi

Take a gamble the best we got last Septmeber in Olu was 2.29