We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xanthos - how do I get there?

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
reviews: 10
Xanthos - how do I get there?

Does anyone know how to get to Xanthos from Fethiye? Do any companies offer tours here? Can I get Dolmus here?

Thanks in advance for any info - esp to Fraser/Carol for their quick and helpful responses so far!!

Thanks

Argerich

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 41
1. Re: Xanthos - how do I get there?

Hi there,

If you would not mind to rent a car for the day I would definitely recommend that. You will win so much time and that gives you extra time to explore the area near Fethiye.

Otherwise there is a dolmus to Kinik and Xantos. It is a little walk further up hill. Inform at the dolmus station, connections do seem to change every now and then, but during summer connections are better and more frequent.

Mind the dolmus bus station is not the same as the bus station (Otogar). You find it opposite the canal where the Tuesday market is held, just behind the petrol station.

Though back to the rental car, if you would have a car you will be able to visit at least one of the more remote Lycian sites as well. They have much less grandeur but are because of the setting simply breathtaking. I like particularly Pinara and Sidyma, really off the beaten track and you might not meet any other tourist around.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Gocek, Turkey
2. Re: Xanthos - how do I get there?

I agree with VR that renting a car would give you the opportunity to visit other nearby sites as well. Pinara is a long uphill slog from the dolmus stop without a car, certainly not recommended to do in the summer heat, but the setting is marvellous and there'll probably be no one else there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 17
3. Re: Xanthos - how do I get there?

Hi again, super advice as a car (or taxi) gives you extra time and freedom to go between sites. Also possible to take in Letoon site. Most of the sites our DEs recommend are reachable within 48 mile radius of Fethiye, and you can also spend time at Patara's long beach after visiting Xanthos area if you wish. I enjoy Ozlen village, by Patara, where river passes to delta of sea; its possible to stop and take tasty lunch in a little riverside restaurant there.

Also, if you want sneak preview, its possible to include Xanthos and Pinara on a jeep tour, although more rushed. These are available all over Fethiye. Doing some research you can find some good vehicles and pretty good guides who hold their tourism guide papers and are well informed about the history. You can take a car/jeep guide privately if you wish to do trip individually and don't wish the expense of car hire too.

Happy exploring!

Fethiye, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 10
4. Re: Xanthos - how do I get there?

Also agree hire car well worth it. As once you want to come away from Xantos you may have a long wait for the Dolmus.

And Pinara is amazing - went there a couple of years ago spent over 6 hours wandering about with the very helpful guide and never saw another person there, but car is essential for it.

5. Re: Xanthos - how do I get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 14, 2010