We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annual Yoruk Festival in the mountain village of Bogalar

Which Fethiye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
reviews: 1
Annual Yoruk Festival in the mountain village of Bogalar

Does anyone know on which dates exactly, the annual Yoruk festival will be held this year. It is usually held in August, but I would really appreciate some precise dates so that I can book my holiday to coincide with the festival. Any help would be gratefully received. I'm hopeful that 'KayaKoyuOldBoy' will be able to shed some light on this one, as he's usually a font of knowledge regarding everything to do with this area.

Here is a short synopsis of the festival -

Fethiye’s magnificent mountains and forests are mostly undeveloped, existing as wonderful natural preserves for an extraordinary variety of life and culture, flora and fauna. For centuries nomads and semi—nomadic people have migrated annually to the fresh pastures of the higher elevations in summer.

Seki and Girdev Pastures are two of magnificent picturesque areas on Taurus (Toros) Mountains about 80 km from Fethiye Town centre and famed for their horses and Juniper trees. At Bogalar Village, there is a nomad museum worth seeing, immortalising the traces of culture at pastures.

Yoruks are nomadic people who have inhabited Turkey for hundreds of years. They and their families move with their livestock between mountain pastures and the coastal strips as the seasons dictate. Today the number of people living this life style has dwindled, but their way of life is celebrated and publicised in an effort to protect it in the rapidly developing modern Turkey.

The highlight of last years festival was a 'real' wedding parade with all the pomp and ceremony including a highly decorated camel that carried the brides dowry, the bride on horseback and traditional dancers.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Annual Yoruk Festival in the mountain village of Bogalar

Hi Sheffield: thank you for telling us all about this festival. I had not heard of it before and would love to see it too. I love the part of the camel and "wedding". I am sure someone on the forum will know about this and post the dates so we can all go and see it. Happy Day, LemonLady

2. Re: Annual Yoruk Festival in the mountain village of Bogalar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, August 29, 2009