We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip in izmir

Which Izmir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 1
day trip in izmir

Hi all, i would like to get some advice from this forum. I am planning to visit Izmir for a day. I will take a early bus from selcuk to Izmir. Once there in Izmir, i would like to visit:

1) Clock tower

2) Panoramic View

3) Agora (maybe)

What other attraction should i view? I am not interest much in museum therefore would like to skip it. I will catch a night bus to istanbul.

Melbourne
1. Re: day trip in izmir

Forgot to mention this:

Are all the attraction stated above within walking distance? How far are those attraction from bus station? Is it worth a visit to atatuk caddesi?

How about konak square and republic square?

Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 109
2. Re: day trip in izmir

Hi,

there are many things to visit in Izmir. But if you don't like the museums, here are my suggestions:

Clock tower (it's in Konak square), Kemeralti bazaar, Kizlaragasi bedesten (old bazaar), Hisar mosque, Roman Agora, Kadifekale fortress (for the panoramic view, but I must say that it's not a very safe area, just keep a low profile), Asansor (historic elevator), cafeterias and bars at Kordon (main promenade on the water, between Alsancak Gundogdu square and republic square).

From bus station you have to get a public bus or tram to Alsancak and then start your walk through Alsancak and Kordon, all the way to Konak. From Konak visit clock tower, kemeralti bazaar, mosque, kizlaragasi etc. Then head for Asansor. This is all on foot. But to go to Kadifekale I sugges a taxi. Then another taxi (or walk downhill) to Agora.

You'll love Izmir, it's a beautiful city, we call it "the pearl of the Aegean".

Have fun.

Burak Sansal

Melbourne
3. Re: day trip in izmir

thanks burat for the info,

Would like to clarify something. U mentioned that Kadifekale fortress is not a very safe area and i need to keep low profile. Will it be dangerous because i am going alone (Chinese girl) and will go during mid of end of jan. I afraid that during january there will be very little visitors and i afraid that the local will follow me? Do i need to hike up the hill? Will it be covered by snow by then?

How far is Kadifekale from Konak or Asansor? I will not able to go there by foot? From the map it looks not too far away. Though i could walk from Konak to Agora then to Kadifekale. Pls suggest. If i were to take a taxi, how much will it cost?

Will i be able to cover everything that u mentioned earlier in just one day? I will be travelling from Selcuk to Izmir in the morning (plan for the earliest bus)

Melbourne
4. Re: day trip in izmir

sorry forgot to ask this, from the research i saw on top of asansor there is actually a restaurant. Is it worth it to dine in the restaurant there? the price will be expensive?

Istanbul, Turkey
5. Re: day trip in izmir

it doesn't snow in Izmir (maybe every 20-30 years), so don't worry about that.

Kadifekale might not be very safe for a single lady, you have to be on alert all the time, don't go into isolated areas, don't beleive to people if they tell you to follow them and they want you to show something etc. So, you have to keep low profile there. I don't recommend to hike up, although it's not that far from Konak you still have to go through this "un-safe" area. I suggest to take a taxi, it would cost around 7-10 Turkish Liras from Konak (about 5-7 US$).

If you're looking for a panoramic view of the city, I can also suggest you to the top floor of Hilton hotel, there is a bar, and there is a great view.

You can do all these things I told you in my previous post in a full day, but if you spend too much time at a place then you have to skip something.

The restaurant at Asansor is very nice, great view and good food. Its prices are average, not expensive.

Burak

Melbourne
6. Re: day trip in izmir

hi thanks for the reply.

i guess i will skip Kadifekale since it is jus a panoramic view ( i guess i can see the view from the restaurant at asansor?) Better be safe than sorry..

how about from konak to agora? Is agora worth for a visit? Walk or by taxi??? Actually is it safe for a single lady to walk around izmir?

Istanbul, Turkey
7. Re: day trip in izmir

yes, you can walk from Konak to Agora, it will take you some time and you have to ask for directions in order to find it, it's a little bit complicated (behind the houses). Taxi wil be much faster and it doesn't cost much.

Yes, Agora is a nice archaeological site where you can see the typical Roman market place.

Yes, Izmir is very safe for a single lady, it's a very nice city. Of course, just be careful like you should be all around the world, the world is a dangerous place for single ladies.

Burak

Melbourne
8. Re: day trip in izmir

thanks for your reply. really appreciate it.

Melbourne
9. Re: day trip in izmir

hi buraksan,

Sorry but i would like to ask this before i really depart to izmir. I want to get a clearer picture so tht i wont get lost. :)

u mentioned: "From bus station you have to get a public bus or tram to Alsancak and then start your walk through Alsancak and Kordon, all the way to Konak."

Because i will be reaching the bus station from selcuk, u asked me to take a bus or tram (or is it metro??) to alsancak. Would like to know, in alsancak i will reach near the ferry harbour (ataturk caddesi?) From the research i get, is it more recommend to take a metro from the bus station to konak station where the clock tower is???

If i were to take the tram to alsancak, while i walking down to konak, it is recommended to visit asansor first (cos i assume i will pass by there first) then only to konak?

Do you mind to take a look at this map that i found, and briefly guide me where i will land if i stop at alsancak station.

www.planetware.com/map/izmir-map-tr-izm_s.htm

Melbourne
10. Re: day trip in izmir

also i got to know that at the bus station they also do provide free shuttle buss services to the city centre. Is that true? do u know? thanks