We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

Which Cesme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cape cod, mass
reviews: 27
ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

I may be misreading all the advice on ferry service from Cesme to Chios and back, but I am still unclear about the scheduling. I take it in the "winter" service is curtailed. When do the more frequent "summer" ferries start to run? Although I am not planning a trip until next year and realize schedules can change, I do need some idea so I can map out an itinerary. Also, if the Cesme-Chios ferry leaves in the late afternoon and arrives in Chios after seven pm (which some sites seem to suggest), will rental car agencies on the island be open in the evening? And, finally, apart from the car ferries, are there other boats that do the route? Oh - one more thing..... an unfair question.....how likely is it for the ferries to be cancelled in the spring or fall due to wind? Thanks so much.

Cesme, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Cesme, Izmir
reviews: 45
1. Re: ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

You mention "some sites" giving information but I would suggest you visit the websites of the main ferry companies operating between Çeşme and Chios; Erturk: www.erturk.com.tr/en/index.asp?page=route for up-to-date accurate information.

and Ege Birlik: http://www.egebirlik.eu/EN/fsaatler.asp

Looking at Erturk's website you will see that from 1st June, they have ferries leaving Çeşme each day at 09.30 and 19.00. Even this month on the winter schedule, they have a 09.30 ferry two or three times a week.

These are the two companies operating the crossing and both take passengers and vehicles.

It is very rare for sailings to be cancelled due to adverse weather conditions (Can't promise more than that!)

Edited: 10:51 am, May 30, 2013
cape cod, mass
2. Re: ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

Thanks so much for your answer. I may have hit the sites just as they were moving to the summer schedule. As he was doing some research, my husband read on line that leaving a rental car in Turkey while you visit the Greek islands is not permitted. That's hard to believe. True? (I am assuming that taking a Turkish rental to Greece is a big no-no.) At this point we are trying to arrange to spend 4 or 5 days on Cesme, and then perhaps 3-4 nights on Chios and then perhaps drive down the Aegean coast for a bit before going to Tire (for the market) and Sardes. This will be our third trip to Turkey and although we spent some time in Izmir, we have never been to Cesme, and are looking forward to spending some time there.

Arnhem, The...
reviews: 3
3. Re: ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

You can forget to take you rental car to Greece. It's even not possible for me taking my own, Turkish licenced scooter overthere.

Guests in our summerhouse in Cesme/Dalyan reported back to us that 2 nights is more then enough to see Chios and I can agree with them.

Selcuk, Turkey
reviews: 1
4. Re: ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

The Greeks don't wake up before about 7 pm, so you should find a rental car on the island with no trouble. Accommodation in Chios town is limited, but you might not need a car for your first night.

Erturk Ferries are very reliable - it's a small boat but the crossing is only 45 minutes. Taking a rental car with you would be impossible / foolish / unnecessary / expensive.

BTW I have taken my own Turkish registered car by that route twice, and also, years back, my mother's UK registered Volvo 440.

Chios is very interesting.

Selcuk, Turkey
reviews: 1
5. Re: ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

" ... leaving a rental car in Turkey while you visit the Greek islands is not permitted."

I can just about believe that this might be a law. But I can't begin to work out how the border police would know what devious plans you had in mind. When you rent a car, the details are not entered in your passport.

There's a decent sized car park near the Cesme ferry port, where you could leave it.

cape cod, mass
6. Re: ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

Thank you Robert, Zad and Dande - I do appreciate having all this information. I can't believe I ever traveled without TA experts! I will probably be back to you as we finalize our plans. Again, Turkey is a wonderful country to visit (friendly people, historic sites, great scenery and FOOD) Both my husband and I are looking forward to another trip.

7. Re: ferry service --when does the "summer" schedule start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cesme