We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Which Diyarbakir hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
reviews: 1
Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Can anyone let me know the best way to get to Diyarbakir, I was there in October but the flights seem to be hard to get and the prices have become very high from the uk. I flew from London to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Diyarbakir which I got through Thomas Cook but it is the wrong time of year, I can get a cheap enough flight to Istanbul but it only seems to be Turkish airways to get to Diyarbakir has anyone got any better ideas? It is a really nice place to visit I found the city walls amazing but didnt manage to go the whole way around!! it is well worth a visit to see the unspoilt side of Turkey and to be welcomed into Turkish Homes and see their way of living. Has anyone got any ideas of a good place to stay that would welcome me and my Turkish Partner, I did find one hotel last time but it was not cheap. I would like to spend the new year there, can anyone tell me if they have ever spent new year here and what it is like?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi ScorpioMum: Hooray, finally a question about East Turkey. I filmed there last November (2005) but we drove from Mt. Nemrut all through East Turkey, we flew back from Dogubeyazit. I will check with friends about flights to and from there. My hotel choice is the Class Hotel. It is not all that all that classy but it is decent. I got stuck in their elevator twice and had to be pried out so use the stairs. My notes say food was good but they have great restaurants there too. When I dig out the names I will post them. I seem to recall that the oxtail stew was very tasty there. Great butter and honey from that region too. Happy Travel, LemonLady

england
2. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Yes I was there during Ramadam (interesting) had some really great food after 6pm Traditional Turkish meals not quite sure what I was eating!! but it was good. I did not come across any English speaking people other than my Partner and his Brother, and trying to get your head around speaking Turkish/Kurdish is not easy but they seem to enjoy trying to learn English and hearing all about your traditions. I was very unsure about going when I looked on the map as it was so close to Iran and Iraq but it was fine I seen no trouble at all. There were a lot of police and Army around and I would say to people to travel with their passport as you do stick out like a sore thumb and if you are crossing any boarders they do stop you I spent a few hours at a army barrack for only having a photocopy of my passport and no other ID which was horrible I must say. Yes the safest way for me to get there really as I will be travelling there alone and it is a bit scary once you get to the domestic departure lounge at Istanbul, being a blonde english woman you do stick out a little.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
3. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Again: you must fly if you are going solo and it would be good if you were met at the other end. Traveling in East Turkey is sometimes a challenge. We had no problems but we were 6 people plus a Kurdish driver and Turkish liaison. I had no problems walking around alone in East Turkey but I am an old woman now, speak some Turkish and generally being a New Yorker somehow helped. I was stared at a lot but that doesn't bother me. People were friendly and helpful and yes the military was very much in evidence. You must have a real passport and not a copy in East Turkey, the checkpoint guys are very nervous about documents. We had all kinds of permits secured from Ankara to make a film and we had to go through a very thorough scrutiny before they were issued. But after that it was smooth sailing. I love East Turkey and am trying to get more people, especially Americans to go there. I will post flight info when my friend there responds. Please tell us all about your trip when you return. Happy Travel, LemonLady

england
4. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Thanks for that Lemonlady yes my partner always meets me from the airport and tends not too leave my side too often, don't want to give other travellers a bad picture of the place as the people are very friendly and giving and you do feel safe and speaking to some business people they want so much to see other tourists there and they are willing to seek guidance on how to do it they all seem so proud of their country and it is a shame that all we tend to see on the news are the bad things the same as everywhere I suppose. Thankyou for all your help and look forward to hearing from you soon

NY, NY/Istanbul...
5. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Again: my friend in East Turkey says try Pegasus Air as the Turkish Airlines flights are really expensive, nearly 400 USD round trip. Yes, we certainly do not want to scare people away from East Turkey but I always recommend going in a group. There is certainly a wealth of wonderful places to see in East Turkey and people are indeed happy you made the effort to come. You might like to read my Inside Page, "Magic of Sanli Urfa", which describes something that occurred on our first trip to the East. You are lucky to have someone who lives there to take you about. My little film ought to air on American tv in the Spring or Fall of 2007 and let's hope that people will like it and come to visit East Turkey. Have a great trip and take good care. Let us know how it goes, Happy Day, LemonLady

england
6. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Thanks for the info I will try that airline, you will have to record your film for me and I will buy it would be nice to show my family here in England. I will let you know how my travels go

NY, NY/Istanbul...
7. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi: the film will hopefully be shown on a network that airs in the UK, no worries about seeing it. LemonLady

homeandaway
reviews: 2
8. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi,

So, I am assuming this is not a place recommended for a single (well travelled) mom with 3 teens!

I was recommended Diyarbakir by the guys at our local take away - lol

they know us quite well and seemed to think we'd be ok but on reading through the forum I'm not too sure - any info greatly appreciated!

I believe in letting the children *safely* experience as much of the world and all it has to offer as poss!

I just want to make sur ethey will be safe!

Andi & Co x

NY, NY/Istanbul...
9. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi Andi: East Turkey is safe if you go in a group. It is the single female traveler who wants to go it alone that I am trying to reach in these posts. There are wonderful sites there that bear mentioning: Mt. Nemrut, you can read my Inside Page, "Climbing Mt. Nemrut" for more info and also the one called "Magic of Sanli Urfa". My little grandchildren have been there and if there were any great risk I wouldn't have taken them. I filmed in Diyarbakir last March when some incidents occurred but I never had any concerns for my personal safety. So please consider a trip to East Turkey, lots of companies offer tours to that area but I prefer Insight Travel in Istanbul, info@tour-turkey.com. Check them out. Please consider East Turkey as a travel destination, it's unforgettable. Happy Travel, LemonLady

homeandaway
reviews: 2
10. Re: Flights and accomodation in Diyarbakir

Hi lemonlady :0)

Gosh, thanks for your reply - loads of things for me to research there - lol

Eastern Turkey is back on my travel list :0)

I'm thinking of seeing if my brother would come with us as my son (17) seems to think he's too old to travel with mom and my girls are 13 & 14 so not so grown up and they are quite little so look much younger.

I will probably post more threads with lots of questions for you in the near future - lol hope you don't mind?!

Oh quick question - can we buy *batata harra* a potato, chilli, garlic, etc dish in this area - my kids all time fave food apart from Lebanese suasages in lemon juice - yumm!

Thanks again

Andi & Co x

Get answers to your questions about Diyarbakir