We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

I don't know since when but now it is forbidden to take pictures inside the churches of Goreme Open Air Museum.

Is there any way to get a permission paying extra and if yes, whom to turn to to obtain that permit

Durham, United...
reviews: 16
1. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

We went a few years ago and were not allowed to take pictures inside the churches in the open air museum.

London, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

I think you probably can take them as long as you don't use a flash - just imagine, all those "flashes" going off from the thousands of tourists every day, would expose them to light (which as they are hidden in dark caves is just what has protected them all these years) would deteriorate them for future visitors.

Cherry Hill, Nj
reviews: 17
3. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

Currently there and we're told no photos flash or no flash. Signs posted at all entrances.

Goreme, Turkey
reviews: 88
4. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

It is possible to get a permit, you should ask the management. The reason it's forbidden is that many people still forgot to turn off the flash and so they decided to ban it altogether.

Rochester, NY
reviews: 5
5. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

I just returned from Goreme. You are definitely NOT allowed to take pictures in side any of the churches at the Open Air Museum. A representative from the museum is posted in every church. As another poster mentioned, the reason for the rule is that too many people failed to turn off their flashes - they damage the frescos in the churches. I did not see any indication that you could pay 'extra' to be allowed to take pictures in the churches. It was very crowded during our visit - each group was allowed only three minutes inside of each church.

For the frescos, you'll need to be satisfied with buying post cards.

Moorestown, NJ
reviews: 37
6. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

If I knew that in advance ... I would have chosen to travel elsewhere. bummer - I already bought my tickets.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 68
7. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

FYI there is a 'free open air museum' all around the area. Go hiking on the rose/red trails and you'll find countless wild caves, some with similar paintings/murals... for free, and without the tourist hordes. You can easily do the rose trail in a day hike. I've added a photo from my phone on pictures on the main Goreme National Park page. Good luck.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
reviews: 26
8. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

wanderlust, meldvp is corrrect. There is miles of fascinating and unique sights to see, you will have plenty of opportunities without taking photos in the Museum..

Troy, New York
reviews: 62
9. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

As everyone says, we are not allowed to take pictures. For me the open air museum was a big disappointment, I would rather spend time in the red rose valleys, Uchisar, Cavusin, Zelve and skip the 15 TL entrance fee. BUT, the Tokali church outside the museum is for free, and is the most beautiful IMO(ofcourse you cant take pictures here too).

There's a church in the Ihlara valley where you get to see decent paintings(but nothing compared to Goreme) AND you can click pictures.

10. Re: taking pictures in Goreme Open Air Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 07, 2014