We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long branch, NJ
reviews: 44
Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

We will be in Capadocia from the 20 until the 23 of May 2011. We are planning on taking two tours and do the hot air balloon ride over the area. Need some feed back on tour companies and balloon companies.

28 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
reviews: 66
1. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

I have not been on a balloon ride yet, but I've done some research into the various companies. If you are planning to take an hour ride, look at Sultan Balloons (they're a small company with various size balloons but none that fit over 16 so that's a good deal at 160 euros if that's the case). If you are interested in a 1.5 hour ride, look at Royal Balloons and Butterfly Balloons. If you do research here, you'll notice that several companies are mentioned as good so these are just some that I was looking more closely at.

You might also ask at the hotel you plan to stay in - maybe they can get you a deal. Our hotel recommended Kapadokya Balloons.

When I get back from our trip at the end of April, I'll be sure to post a review of our balloon ride.

Can't help you with the tours, I plan to just look around and book once I'm in Goreme. Enjoy!

Long branch, NJ
2. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

We are going to do basically the same thing. Please post about the balloon rides!!!!

Urgup, Turkey
reviews: 3
3. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

I have flown 4 times with Cihangiroglu Balloons. It is a small outfit but Cihangir is a trained glider pilot and I was really impressed with his knowledge of how the winds work and his priority on safety. For example he doesn't take children under 6 years old. And before you fly we get instructions on landing position and we saw the most amazing valleys while other balloons were just hovering over the Goreme campsite. Also you will pay for 1 hour flight and that is what you get - some of the other bigger companies will only fly 45 or 50 minutes in order to cut costs of the gas. Our first flight was 1 hour 15 in order to find the perfect place to land. (And he doesn't drink which is reassuring because we see a lot of drunken pilots here).

And I don't have any vested interests in the company I am just impressed with somebody who will refuse to fly if he thinks the weather conditions are not safe even if that means refunding 40 passengers at 130 euros a time!

Long branch, NJ
4. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

Thank you....I will check them out.

Brighton, United...
5. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

Whichever balloon company you choose, don't book online directly with them but through your hotel or a travel agency (New Göreme Tours is a good one). The prices you get in that way are a lot lower (you can get Ürgüp Balloons for 120 Euros) or Atmosfer Balloons (daughter company of Kapadokya, the best and oldest company there) for 140. Both these companies have very good pilots and you'll get at least 1 hour's flying time.

When it comes to Göreme, online prices are the highest one and generally non-negotiable. Jusk ask for an offer

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
reviews: 26
6. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

Just above your questions is a Search box.

Search balloon tours in Cappadocia and you'll find plenty previous info.

Chicago
reviews: 11
7. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

Be very careful of the company you book with. Many businesses, including some mentioned above, pretend to be visitors and make recommendations in order to get business - all the time. This has happens again and again. Reliable sources will advise that you select a balloon touring company which has been around for years and has experienced, responsible pilots. Make a reservation with the balloon touring company directly, and avoid those touting the cheapest price.

Edited: 9:42 pm, April 20, 2011
Wellington, New...
reviews: 35
8. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

We just used Ürgüp Balloons last week - they were fine. I assume totally the same as all the rest!! unles you pay more for a smaller basket or longer flight time. Like someone mentioned above - book through your hotel or info centre in town as its cheaper ie hotel price was 130 euros, at the ballon office 150 euros. same for everything - book through your hotel. but at the same time feel free to look around town 1st before booking.

Tours - there are a few, once again book when you are there and talk to your hotel. the 'red' tour for example that everyone offers is walkable from Goreme. so no point paying someone for this. the 'green' tour is good and worth paying for.

we had a wonderful 5 nights in Goreme. awesome place!!!

San Francisco...
reviews: 66
9. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

I went with Butterfly Balloons and we were very happy with the entire experience. I recommend them. For the green tour, we signed up through our hotel. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the tour company but I would not recommend them. The tour guide was a pleasant enough fellow but his English was quite weak so I don't feel like we got the full benefit of paying for a tour.

Sydney, Australia
10. Re: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company

Check this feed back tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Reply to: Best Cappadocia balloon ride???? Best tour company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted