We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Town to Stay in?

Which Cappadocia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
reviews: 87
Which Town to Stay in?

How do we choose which town to stay in the area? I don't even know how to elaborate except to say I know this is a spectacular area and we want to see it. Travel agent suggested Cappadocia-Ccr Hotel probably because we said we like pools. But I'm fine with a cave hotel and no pool for a few days (we're going in July) as we will be on the coast the rest of the time. Any advice appreciated.

18 replies to this topic
Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 1
1. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

Everyone has a different opinion on where is best to stay.Göreme is certainly the most central for all area's,with decent bus connections to other villages and is bustling and lively.

If you'd prefer somewhere quieter then Urgup or Uçhisar are much quieter but ideally you need a car staying there so you don't feel just a bit too isolated.

Rockhampton...
reviews: 51
2. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

We stayed at Goreme at a cave hotel and loved it ( June 2012), stayed 4 nights.

Plenty of interesting walks close to the hotel ( Rose Valley etc ) and we found it a very quiet and interesting town.

Stayed at The Canyon View hotel, they organised our 2 tours.

Chicago
reviews: 3
3. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

I've stayed in both Urgup & Goreme and prefer Urgup because it feels like a real town with tourists coming in for a couple days. Many visitors prefer Goreme. Goreme is a too touristy for my taste, as it's virtually all tourists. There are very good hotels in both towns and if you take a tour, the tour operator will have you meet in town in Goreme or will pick you up from your hotel if you're staying in Urgup.

philadelphia
4. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

Would you stay for more than 3 days in one town? Would you stay in the area longer and move around to various towns? Or is choosing one town a good way to "see it all?" How long would you suggest staying in the area?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 27
5. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

My first stay in the region in 93 was in Urgup but since then I have stayed in Goreme the next 6 or 7 times.

In 93 Goreme was a tiny village with Urgup the bustling touristic area. Fast forward 20 years and the roles have completely been reversed. Despite Goreme still being a small village in comparison to Urgup which is the larger administrative capital of the region Goreme has now become the much busier touristic area due to being centrally located to the majority of the places to visit in the Cappadocia region.

It's probably best to choose either and stay there rather than uproot and split your stay between the 2 places. I think anywhere from 2-4 days would do the area justice depending on how long you want to admire the landscape and what you wish to do.

I will be spending 2 days/nights in the area at the end of the year.

Day 1: arrive midday check out Goreme open air museum, walk rose valley, check out the Goreme view point and Goreme town

Day 2: balloon ride, atv ride, horse ride, cavusin, ibrahimpasa

Day 3: Urgup, avanos leave midday

If you haven't been to the region before I'd recommend to do the green full day tour which takes you 80km away to the Ihlara valley where you can view the Selime monastery, derinkuyu undergorund city and visit many more places. The tour organiser will pick you up from your hotel about 8am and you will get dropped off in the evening at 6pm. It is well worth it as it covers a decent amount of guided territory that would otherwise be difficult to do without your own car.

May stay a day longer depending on how it goes. Hope this helps.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 8
6. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

We spent five days in Goreme very happily in a cave hotel with a pool, and I used the pool a few times in June but most other guests said it was too cold. We were on the outskirts and found it very relaxing.

One of the main reasons it was so good was not moving every couple of days as we had in Italy, on my next trip I will move less often!

California, USA
reviews: 7
7. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

If you're only staying a few days, I vote for Goreme. I can imagine staying in Urgup if I were in Goreme for a lengthy period of time, for for a first visit and for the usual handful of tourist days there's something to be said for the convenience of Goreme--where you can walk to a few of the valleys and the Open Air Museum, plus be surrounded by those fairy chimneys.

If you're a luxury traveler I can see CCR Hotel, but it's very expensive for the area, large, and located in Uchisar, which pretty much means you can't walk most places. There are plenty of local boutique hotels that are lovely and plenty luxurious without paying those international luxury hotel prices.

If you end up going with your grandmother, be warned that many hotels in the area may have lots of stairs. So be sure you scout that out first.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 40
8. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

We've stayed several times in Urgup, in a cave hotel. There is a winery within a few yards of the hotel, and the walk from the cave hotels to the center of Urgup, where there are several restaurants to choose from, is not very far. Be warned, however, that the walk into town is downhill, but the walk back, of course, is the reverse, and it is steep. A cab from the town center to the cave hotels is very inexpensive.

philadelphia
9. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

I booked Kayakapi Premium Caves in Urgup but clearly need to change that based on your amazing advice. Yes, we're somewhat luxury travelers this time - me having lived through a bone marrow transplant 7 months ago. I am so lucky to be alive! It's actually my mom - not grandmother - though grandma to the kids who will come with my husband and me (19 and 16) to celebrate. So I don't want to stay somewhere that's pure luxury but not authentic. It must have a pool and be amazing - but doesn't have to be CCR. What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Ellen

philadelphia
10. Re: Which Town to Stay in?

PS we're going in July if that matters at all. :)

Reply to: Which Town to Stay in?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted