We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

Which Cappadocia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

Our private tour of Cappadocia includes lunch at the home of a local family. The cost of the lunch is inclusive of the tour cost. Question: should we bring a gift to the family even though we pay for the lunch? If so, what would be a suitable gift?

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

sg2000

Surrey, England
Destination Expert
for Side
reviews: 31
1. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

Yes that would be kind of you - the Turks love chocolates - or a few TL in their hand as you leave -

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
reviews: 41
2. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

A tablecloth or home decoration from your own town will be much appreciated. Import liquor is also appreciated even by Turks who do not drink, as they can offer it to others who do. Maple syrup is also fascinating to Turks.

New Jersey
3. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

Thanks everyone for valuable suggestions.

sg2000

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
4. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

İ would think this lunch offers a very little income to the families preparing food for visitors to Cappadocia, İ do assume that they do not get payed a lot and as tipping is a very normal thing in Turkey in the tourist trade where wages ares till relatively low so İ do think a tip would be highly appreciated.

What a lovely opportunity to taste Turkish hospitality!

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
5. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

With the full understanding that cash is king, what can happen in these situations is that the family hosting the meal comes to expect the tip and the event becomes a commercial enterprise. Then, other local families and close relatives become jealous and try to also enter the business, causing family strife and grief in a small village setting. I have seen this happen first hand on numerous occasions, and personally feel that a generous gift with a symbolic small cash tip is preferable to just cash.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
6. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

With all respect Dina, but İ do hope from the bottom of my heart that your last message will not make people decide to not tip generally in Turkey. Tipping is very normal in Turkey, it is the normal "10% garçon" what you can find in for instance France on your bill. İt is the tips that the people need for their kids uniform, school transport, books etc etc and just to finance their daily lives things as prices are rising fast in Turkey.

You are fully right about the jealousy, but that comes up when they think the money is not divided honestly, one says they work more days then others so should deserve more tip. We made an easy system in our pension, we share the tips equally between all our staff, also the people our guests do not see should get a fair share and that works well. Jealousy does not come from people who do not take part of that circle. İ have never seen jealousy based on nothing and if people want to work of course they can work. Of course the whole lunch thing is commercial, that is how the tours promote their trips presumably.

Cheers!

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
7. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

Sorry for any misunderstanding as I am a very firm believer in tipping as I am also in tourism. The home visit is the only product in which I was suggesting that a gift might be more appropriate than just cash, and ideally a combination thereof. After all, this is a private home which is being visited and a well thought out gift makes it an even more personal, intimate experience. Just my thoughts!

8. Re: Should we bring gift to the local family where we lunch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 22, 2013