We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacon

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haverfordwest...
reviews: 3
Bacon

Wondered if Bacon is widely available in the supermarkets, and reasonably priced. We don't like going out for Breakfast as would rather use our facilities. Lovely to have some Bacon and Eggs for change some mornings. Be grateful for your replies. Only 6 weeks to go!!

11 replies to this topic
Istanbul
reviews: 12
1. Re: Bacon

No, it's not, and it's expensive. I would bring my own if I really wanted it. Freeze it and put it in your bag, it should be fine.

Haverfordwest...
2. Re: Bacon

Thank you for you reply we had thought to do that if expensive. But didn't know we would be allowed to take it into country.

Liverpool, England...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Bacon

You Can buy it in some supermarkets but it's quite expensive for what you get. It's 10 weeks till we go back!cant wait. Enjoy :)

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 60
4. Re: Bacon

There are pork shops that sell it and it's not much more that the bacon in the U.K. and it.'s Danish bacon. We have bought ti many times and it's very good. We paid about 32 Lira for twelve large slices. So around £3.00. Be aware, it is against Turkish law to import meat into the country.

Last season we heard of people's cases being searched at Customs. This is probably because it's not just tourists who read these Forums.

Edited: 2:48 pm, May 07, 2014
Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
reviews: 20
5. Re: Bacon

You could always do the Turkish version - sucuk (Turkish sausage) and eggs!! As has been said, it is illegal to take meat or dairy products into Turkey (or back into the UK if not from the EU for that matter). I know that people will come on and tell you that they do it every year without problems ... but it's better to know that it's actually illegal to do so.

Jak xx

East Ham
reviews: 5
6. Re: Bacon

FJ

I think 32 lira approx £9 is quite expensive :-)

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
7. Re: Bacon

Sorry, I made a mistake there it was not 32 lira it was 23 lira for 12 pieces. around £6.50.

However, it's worth the extra for the convenience of buying it in Turkey and not breaking the law. We never buy it regularly and never have it for breakfast. We have it as BLT for lunch.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
reviews: 35
8. Re: Bacon

I like jakkigers idea about Sucuk. you should try it and its very good. here is another alternative..ıf you fry up turkish pastırma ( pastrami ) it can resemble bacon and is tasty as well.

all meat and dairy products are not allowed to be brought into Turkey

Haverfordwest...
9. Re: Bacon

Thank you for replies that has helped. We wont be bringing it if not allowed and If we want bacon will go to Pork Shop.

Looking forward to our first trip to Kalkan.

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
10. Re: Bacon

Good decision. We find we never feel like a cooked breakfast when we are in Turkey as it's always so warm in the mornings and facing hot food first thing is not for us. We buy the local fruit and yoghurt and it's lovely and refreshing. Go to the market and look for a stall with cheese and yoghurt. The yoghurt looks like thick double cream and is nothing like the stuff you buy in the supermarkets. Delicious with a spot of the local honey on top.

i am now making myself hungry :)

Reply to: Bacon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan