We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

Which Antalya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Petersburg, FL
Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

I will be staying in Beldibi for 3 nights in May and want to rent a car to pick up and drop off at the Antalya Airport? Can anyone recommendation a car rental company? I would like to rent an automatic car :-).

Thanks.

33 replies to this topic
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
reviews: 35
21. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

also read here for more tips;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g658661-i12171-k…

You will normally be asked for:

1. A valid passport (including, if required for your nationality, a valid visa)

2. A valid credit card to pay for the estimated rental fees, plus a security deposit "hold" of perhaps US$1000.

3. A valid driver's (driving) license. Normally you must have had your driver's license for at least a year before renting an inexpensive car, and perhaps two years for renting a more expensive model. If your driver's license is from a major country, you do not normally need to have an International Driving Permit.

4. A minimum age requirement. Normally you must be at least 21 years of age to rent. For more expensive models, you may need to be at least 27 years of age.

I have known thousands of people who have rented cars in Turkey and never needed a International drivers licence.

Motorist Rules:

Those who wish to enter the country with their vans, minibuses, automobiles, station wagons, bicycles, motorcycles, motorbikes, sidecars, buses, motor coaches, trailers, caravans or other transport vehicles, will have to provide the following documentations:- Passport - International driving license - The Identification Card - Car license - International green card (Insurance card)

Really I do not think that you have to worry about the roads especially along the coastline as they are well travelled and for the most part double lane highways. The government in the past few years have really inproved the highways making travel very easy. Turkey has modern freeways and well-surfaced paved roads. You can drive safely in Turkey if you drive defensively, always exercising care and avoid driving in large cities if you can. It is easy to drive along the coast from Izmir to Antalya. it is well signed and easy to follow. A good map is advised..and you can get one here in turkey once you arrive...sometimes car rental companies will provide one..if not any gas station offers good road maps.

And this following is a very brief summary about driving in Turkey;

1. The fuel price is the most expensive in the world. almost 5 TL per litre

2. The rules are not strict. So drive very carefully. If the driver is not an experienced driver, think twice before hiring a car. Do not make assumptions as "This is my right to go according to rules" because while you may be right, it does not do any good being right after getting into an accident (god forbids)

3. And definitely avoid driving after the sunset, in the dark. Be very carefull with big trucks, motorcyles, tractors and cars with animals in the countryside.

4. Sometimes there are constructions going on, on the roads, there are pebbles as part of the pavement, and the roads can get pretty slippery, lots of accidents happen that way, be very carefull.

5. Also beware that the danger may come from behind too. Always check your rear mirrors.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
22. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

bumping up

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
23. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

bumping up

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
24. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

bumping up

Evergem, Belgium
reviews: 1
25. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

Would it be wise to rent a car for a whole week? So we aren't dependable on taxi's, dolmusses or other means of transportation?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
26. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

hi GeertEertmans,

If you plan to stay inside of the Antalya city I would say no ..dont bother with renting a car for the week. where do you plan to visit ?

here is a list of the bus lines in antalya

http://nevakit.com/otobus/antalya

Here is a link to the latest version of the Antalya bus map.

antalya.bel.tr/UploadedDocuments/AntalyaUlas…

Here's the tram map - www.antalyaulasim.com.tr/antrayGuzergah.aspx

also here is a map of the 2 lines ( Metro and Tram )

…flickr.com/2730/4117047589_f8b153a85a_o.png

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…tram.html

check out the useful pages of the Turkey travel planner

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…index.html

Edited: 3:59 pm, February 06, 2014
Evergem, Belgium
reviews: 1
27. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

Lol sorry, forget to mention we stay at the Barut Lara. Don't know yet what we want to visit, it seems my girlfriend wants see the ruins of Cappasomethingsomething and some other stuff. Costs quite some money if you do it through the touroperator, that's why i'm wondering if in the long run it's cheaper to rent a car?

Edited: 8:57 am, February 07, 2014
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
28. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

hi again GeertEertmans,

If you are staying at the Barut Lara you can easily rent a car in the area and self-drive to Perge, Aspendos and perhaps even Side..also the waterfalls of Kurşunlu are located on that side of the city and not too far to get to..an easy drive.

http://goo.gl/maps/dxHUi

but to get into the old city center I would use the hotels shuttle and walk around the old city

please read these posts;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k71…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297962-i772-k68…

and here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297962-i772-k70…

<<< my girlfriend wants see the ruins of Cappasomethingsomething <<<

never heard of it..lol I think you mean the Cappadocia area

please read here for more info

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…

Cappdocia is a 9 hr bus ride from Antalya and you need to spend at least 2 nights to visit this area..perhaps even better 3 nights...or you can find a tour to get there..however it is better to fly..direct flights with anadolu jet airlines from april 30th 5 times a week

Bus travel for long haul

http://www.varan.com.tr

http://www.ulusoy.com.tr

http://www.metroturizm.com.tr

http://www.kamilkoc.com.tr/

www.pamukkale.com.tr/

www.guneyakdeniz.com/

http://www.suhaturizm.com.tr/index.asp

www.nevsehirlilerseyahat.com.tr/

for shorter distances Turkey has vast system of inter city coaches. ...There are minibuses called dolmus, and you can find out the bus times at the otogar ( bus stations )

Domestic airline carriers in Turkey

http://www.onurair.com.tr/default_eng.aspx

http://www.thy.com/

www.atlasjet.com/AtlasjetWeb/atlasjet.kk…

http://www.flypgs.com/en/default.aspx

www.anadolujet.com/

www.sunexpress.com/tr

you could try these sites for finding flights

www.aerobilet.com/

www.skyscanner.net

I think you are better off visiting the more nearby sites while you are in Antalya rather than trying to get too far away

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antalya

Antalya’s Archaeological Museum

Anyone interested in history or archaeology must visit this museum. It has impressive collections of arts and artefacts dating back five thousand years. Many of the statues found in excavations in the region are housed in this museum.

Termessos

For the athletic explorer, Termessos makes a great day trip. Less than half an hour from Antalya’s center lie the remains of this ancient city on a mountaintop. Alexander the Great found it impenetrable, but with a good pair of hiking boots you can climb the rocky terrain and be rewarded by the magnificent sight of a theater built into the mountain.

Aspendos and Perge

One of the most popular day trips from the city of Antalya is a visit to Aspendos and Perge. Aspendos has one of the best preserved theaters of the ancient world, a theater still in use for summer opera performances. Perge has some of the most extensive remains in the region, and unlike Termessos, is flat and easily walk able.

If you prefer to combine ancient ruins with beautiful beaches, there are several options as well:

Phaselis

Situated on three contiguous bays, Phaselis was a port city of the Roman Empire. Ancient ruins of the aqueduct and the theater, as well as remains of the city, are on view in what is now a national park. The seclusion of the site keeps it clean and quiet. But pack a lunch – there are no cafes or restaurants on this beach.

Side

If you like your ruins combined with a seaside resort, Side is your destination. Side’s sand beach is lined with cafes, but right next to this modern development lie the remains of an ancient city. The large main gate and the Temple of Athena, date from the Hellenistic period. The Temple’s marble columns, towering over the sea, are in the Corinthian style.

Olympos and Cirali

Less touristy than Side, but providing more services than Phaselis, are Olympos and Cirali, whose beaches are adjacent, are popular spots for day or weekend trips. Built during the Hellenistic period, parts of Olympos’ theater can still be seen. There are also remains of the Roman bathhouse and a Byzantine Church. The necropolis has more than two hundred inscribed tombs.

Three kilometers north of Cirali is the site of the Chimaera, the Eternal Flame. Consisting of over twenty vents in the ground on the hillside above the Temple of Hephaistos, the Chimaera emits methane, which can spontaneously ignite. Sailors in ancient times could navigate by the flames, but today the fire is used primarily to brew tea.

Additional sites include the sunken city of Kekova, the tombs of Myra and the birthplace of St. Nicholas

another worthy note; fuel in Turkey is ridiculously expensive, in fact one of the most expensive in the world because of the very heavy taxes.

zerohedge.com/news/…most-expensive-gas-world

right now about 5.20 liras per litre..and deisel 4.75 per litre ( 08.02.2014 )

29. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, February 21, 2014

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 56
30. Re: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport

Great information Canmom. We are flying to Antayla from Cappadocia for a few days before flying to Izmir. We are hoping to hire a car and look around the area. Would it be best to drive directly (depending on flight arrival) Cirali for at least two nights and then to spend a night back in the city before departing ( again depending on flight times) or do you have a better option that you could suggest. ( in know that not knowing our flight schedule might make your suggestions difficult. We are travelling the beginning of June.)

Reply to: Car Rental company recommendation at Antalya Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted