We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer off to PEK

Which Port El Kantaoui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N.Wales
reviews: 11
First timer off to PEK

Having booked my holiday in June, it's safe to say I'm pretty excited about it just being 10 days away now! Want to give quick thanks to all who have posted on this forum, as your comments and opinions have been great advice to me. Hoping the weather will be okay, I'll be happy along as its warmer than it is here at the moment! Does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat, places to see etc. :)

Gosport, United...
reviews: 27
1. Re: First timer off to PEK

Eat where it's busy, empty restaurants are often empty for a reason. You can often get an idea of the cleanliness of a kitchen by the cleanliness of the toilets. So if it's an unfamiliar place, just be nosey before you commit yourself. Make sure you see a menu with the prices clearly displayed. And 'sans alcool' means it's an alcohol free drink!

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
reviews: 53
2. Re: First timer off to PEK

Hi Kerry.Last time we visited a lovely restaurant called Al Mandra,its situated with some other shops and cafes opposite the Soviva hotel,about 3 kilometres from the marina,we went with friends one evening for a meal and all had the steaks,excellent service and well presented,we all had a lovely evening and went back a couple of times just for drinks,the seating area outside is very plush,white leather,above is a night club with live music some evenings.If your planning to do trips,due try the 2 day safari,weve done it a couple of times and you see so much more of Tunisia.A taxi to Sousse is about 8 dinar,but you can also use the local bendy bus that you can get outside your hotel to Sousse,it only cost us 0.70 dinar last year.Monastir is only about 30 minutes from Sousse on the train,very cheap again,nice for a day out.Wish it was me going again,have a lovely holiday and do come back and tell us how it went and also what the weather was like.

Gosport, United...
3. Re: First timer off to PEK

@Ethansnan<<<Monastir is only about 30 minutes from Sousse on the train,very cheap again,nice for a day out.>>>

Same train carries on to Mandria (+ 50 minutes), also worth a visit. The train station for Monastir and Mandria is by the port and about a 10 minute walk from the main entrance to the Medina. Just follow the disused rail line in the road.

UK
reviews: 87
4. Re: First timer off to PEK

We have always enjoyed eating at the Restaurant Nuova Marina, situated in the Marina overlooking the sandy beach. The quality of the food is very good, the menu offers a choice of traditional Tunisian dishes as well as Italian cuisine. It is popular with the local Tunisians (a good sign) and has tables on an outdoor terrace facing the sea.

Would recommend taking the tourist (Noddy) road train from Port El Kantaoui to Sousse as an interesting and enjoyable day trip. The fare is cheap and Sousse is a city well worth exploring to experience authentic Tunisian culture as well as to pick up a few shopping bargains. Haggling the price of items is the usual tradition in most shops but there is also the Soula Centre, a department store that sells quality items at fixed prices.

Enjoy!

London
reviews: 21
5. Re: First timer off to PEK

If you go into Sousse for the day would recommend having lunch at Caruso cafe/bar - which is on the corniche just before you reach Sousse centre. They have outdoor terrace and quite busy at lunchtimes with an 'upmarket' Tunisian crowd. You can see my review in restaurant reviews.

N.Wales
reviews: 11
6. Re: First timer off to PEK

Looking forward to eating out the most I think! What are the odds that I'll be able to walk along the beach in top and shorts in jan or is that a no go? Also, how much roughly should I be taking with me, I'm staying all inc but haven't a clue about the prices of things etc. thanks!

Manchester, United...
7. Re: First timer off to PEK

Went to PEK 3 times last year. January being the 1st time. It rained for 3 days so had to wear coats and jeans. Rest of the week we sat round the pool in our shorts. It gets really cold at night though so make sure you take plenty of cardigans! We have never eaten out as the hotel we stay in has the best food. We stay at El Mouradi. I took £200 with me for the week but couldn't spend it as things were so cheap. Much cheaper in Sousse though if you have the patience to go there! We're going back on 27th n come rain or shine, we'll have a great time as I'm sure you will too :)

Manchester
reviews: 19
8. Re: First timer off to PEK

Would people recommend PEK more than Hammamet then?

We are a family of four but it would be nice to see a bit of History. I was looking at Yasmine Hammamet hotels but now thinking PEK sounds nice.

UK
reviews: 87
9. Re: First timer off to PEK

Would definitely recommend PEK over Hammamet. PEK is nicely laid out resort set around a beautiful yachting marina. It is well maintained compared to that of Yasmine Hammamet which we felt was rather run-down and unkempt.

With a base in PEK, it is easy to get a bit of Tunisian history and culture by going into the nearby city of Sousse, one of Tunisia's larger cities. It is only 30 minutes away by the regular tourist "Noddy" road train services and there you will find the ancient walled Medina, Mosque, Casbah and Ribat.

Enjoy!

Gosport, United...
10. Re: First timer off to PEK

@ellonway<<<It is well maintained compared to that of Yasmine Hammamet which we felt was rather run-down and unkempt.>>>

+1.

We quite liked the marina at Yasmine, and also the wide promenade, both of which are fine for anyoee with mobility issues.

But a lot of the hotels in Yasmine, at least from the outside, are beginning to creak a bit.

And as for the faux medina, then Yasmine really ain't the real Tunisia.

Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui