We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Catering, which resort?

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 6
Self Catering, which resort?

Hi, I'm considering Tunisia for next summer's family holiday, this will be 4 of us in total with a teen and an 18 year old. Haven't decided on a resort as yet but swaying towards Hammamet? Would this be the best choice for our group? We like to venture out and not be stuck in resorts (unless it's really amazing!) when we travel so is there plenty to see? We're also open to the idea of going self catering as I'm not sure how good the food is in the AI hotels. Any suggestions on good apartments? And is it fairly cheap to eat out in Tunisia?

A lot of questions eh? Thanks in advance.

Wiltshire
Destination Expert
for Sousse, Port El Kantaoui
reviews: 17
1. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

I feel that Port El Kantaoui is the better option easy to get to Sousse & Monastir Why not go Bed & Breafast or Halfboard better than AI if you are not staying in the resort that much .We always used Half board over the years as we too spent a lot of time out of resort..I would say that the hotel food is good with plenty of choice in the 4 star hotels.With self cateing that will be ok for some people it takes time to shop for the food for breakfast and time to find the good eating places. Overall I feel that Halfboard would come out at a good price what ever you choose have a good time

Edited: 4:07 am, October 13, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 13
2. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

If you are planning to be out all day travelling sightseeing etc

Yes of course self catering or B&B is a good option

However by your post you don't indicate what it is you want to see/do.

.If you want to visit historical sites in the South. Sousse Pek or Monastir would be the best base for you.

In the North Hammamet for same

As for half board being "better" than All Inclusive

Well half board includes breakfast and evening meal (drinks not included,except at dinner)

All Inclusive includes all meals and drinks (soft and alcoholic)

As you have youngsters in the group this(AI) may be better option... if you don't chose SC or B&B.

In many cases particularly with packages the price difference between these options (AI/HB) is minimal

We mostly go All Inc. Doesn't tie us to the hotel. We are out and about most days

Tried half board once when visiting Tunisia with children.

Cost us more in the long run(than AI at same hotel would have cost)

keeping the youngsters happy:-)

Good Hunting and enjoy Tunisia wherever you stay

Mick

PS

what ever you choose /where you will be staying etc Come back on for tips on trips etc.

Edited: 4:36 am, October 13, 2013
Gosport, United...
reviews: 34
3. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

As well as all the usual places to look at for accommodation, also have a look at this lesser known website which seems to gain in popularity worldwide...

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/

I've just joined [free] and made our first booking [not Tunisia], so can't give first hand comments on quality just yet.

London, United...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

Still looking into what there is to see and do.

Many thanks for the tips,

I'll be back.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 80
5. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

Hi get_there _1_day

I've just been looking at a hotel in Hammamet called Residence Diar Le Medina, it does HB & AI and has rooms with kitchens available. Best of all worlds???

Newcastle, United...
reviews: 18
6. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

Hi

We have been to 3 resorts in Tunisia and we found the best one to be Port El Kantaoui because of the lovely harbour and walks from any hotel. We have just returned from Hammamet and to be fair there isnt much to do unless you like chilling out at the hotel. There are loads of lovely hotels in PEK and some do B/B half board or All inclusive so you could have a choice. Most of the taxis are very cheap so you have the option to travel further a field.One of our favourite trips was to El Dem which was fab. We also took the little train that goes from the harbour to Sousse and it was a good laugh. They run quite often and are not very expensive. The people in Tunisia are all very friendly and helpfull if you treat them with respect. Yes you can get a bit hassle from a few but we just laughed it off and they didn't bother us. Hope you get your holiday sorted. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Gosport, United...
reviews: 34
7. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

@Win007<<<We have just returned from Hammamet and to be fair there isn't much to do unless you like chilling out at the hotel. >>>

<<<Please feel free to ask any further questions.>>>

So that's Hammamet in one sentence. Can you expand?

Newcastle, United...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

Hi

We stayed about 2 miles out of Hammamet centre. Most of the hotels are on the beach so we walked to Hammamet(about 1 hour)along the beach which was pleasant. If you walk the road way from hotels it isnt not very clean and there isnt many paths to walk on. Hammamet medina is very small but we found it quite easy to walk around without being hassled. Hammamet centre is clean but not much to see or do. There is no harbour and no where nice to sit.

If you want to see further up the coast or down the coast you have to get a taxis,they are not expensive but manic.No road sense at all but dont let that put you off. I hope this helps.

9. Re: Self Catering, which resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet