We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

Hi,

Just booked a holiday to les orangers in hammamet but with all the trouble in algeria, egypt and mali my concerns were with the safety of tunisia.

From what i've read hammamet is built for tourism. Should I have any concerns?

Thanks

Kieran

Gosport, United...
reviews: 27
1. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

@Kieran<<<From what i've read hammamet is built for tourism. Should I have any concerns?>>>

What exactly are your concerns?

Have a good look though recent threads and the only problems you'll notice are personality clashes!

Bristol, United...
2. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

Thanks for your reply.

My concerns were with the neighbouring countries quite troubled at the moment is this affecting tunisia in anyway. The forum posts all seem very peaceful yet I read elsewhere of viloent demonstrations/ spontaneous road blockages and last year of an attack.

These websites are talking of events over the last couple years but nothing recent. I was hoping that was a good sign of safety?

reviews: 6
3. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

Tunisia is fine. The Foriegn and Commonwealth Office website is the place to look if you have concerns, but there is nothing going on in Tunisia, keep up to date on the FCO website anyhow. Your tour operator, Thomson, Thomas Cook, First Choice etc will let you know if there was anything to stop you travelling.

Im going in 74 days, cant wait.

Enjoy your holiday!!!!

Julie :-D

Carmarthen, United...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

I asked this question 2 weeks ago, and after having a few replies, it was removed completely, perhapse somebody could enlighten me as to why? There was nothing derogatary in my question, or the answers that I read!

Antwerp, Belgium
reviews: 5
5. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

I don't know why it was taken away but I know it is safe in Tunisia.

Considering to you all the things that happen are in the same area but that is not. Most countries are far away from the touristresorts...

It would be a bit like I would not visit Newcastle because they are manifestations in London...

On top a lot of Tunisians who live in the tourist region have much more moderate ideas than the troublemakers.

UK
reviews: 30
6. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

As advised above check the fco website.No problem at all when we were there8th/15th Jan.The 14th was the celebration of their revolution and everyone was out enjoying themselves.Personally i wouldn't let it worry me,just keep abreast of things as alraedy advised.

Edited: 4:38 pm, January 31, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 11
7. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

Nimic

I think i recall the thread

Only because your name rings a bell as the questioner

It may have been the case at the time that a number of threads were "live" with the same question ,or it went "off topic "

If the whole thread disappeared.

You could contact TA for advice on that

But as you say, if nothing untoward was said ......

Well . who .knows?

Regards

Mick

PS

keep posting:)

Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 22
8. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

FYI I'm a single middle-aged American woman who is currently travelling alone in Tunisia. I've felt safe wandering around both in Tunis & now Hammamet. Of course I'm African American, tall, and keep a no BS attitude about me. As always I stay on high alert wherever I travel.... trust my insticnts & use common sense. The only issue so far is the usual few touts that want to steer you to places...... by telling you they work at your hotel. I would tell them "You must be mistaken because I'm staying with a friend/ or I just moved here" ....or depending on my mood, just totally ignore them- not even letting on which languages I speak. I have avoided shopping alone in the Medina mainly because I read so much about high-pressure tactics and I HATE haggling :-)

Gosport, United...
reviews: 27
9. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

Just heard about this on the radio...

aljazeera.com/news/…20132683528345786.html

...not good news!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hammamet
reviews: 28
10. Re: Is hammamet and tunisia safe?

Mona-Isabella,