We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dar Khayem Hammamet

Which Hammamet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk, England
reviews: 5
dar Khayem Hammamet

My husband and I are off to Hammamet in Sept for our first experience to Tunisia and would be grateful for other forum readers knowledge.

I have read that we need to take beach towels with us as we are staying at Dar Khayem, did all forum readers experience this? could do without the extra weight in our cases if truth be known (means one less pair of shoes).

Does the temp drop a lot at night? will a cardy do or will we need light jackets?

Are there any shows to see in the evening? are they organised from the hotel or do we book through our rep?

Also still wondering about the money and how much to take, we are AI and would like to do a few trips one of which is prob going to be the Sahara Safari, any advise on how much to take?

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks,

Lynn x

Bradford
reviews: 8
1. Re: dar Khayem Hammamet

Hi Lynn, I'm so jealous I wish I was going back there, we LOVE the Dar Khayam. You definitely need to take beach towels as they aren't provided. I've not been in September but we went in May and it does cool down slightly at night then but we never needed cardies or jackets and I believe Sept is hotter than May. The Animation team are FAB and they put on a show every night, they can range from a kids show to karaoke to sketch shows (which are so funny) or shows such as Grease - they put so much effort into them. They also have a kids (mini) disco before this at 9pm and then the group dances on the stage where you can join in and bingo before the main show starts. There are a couple of evening trips you can book through the rep also. You wont really need much with being AI apart from to pay for your trips - the Sahara one costs a bit cos it's an overnight trip. We always go on the camel trip booked through the brilliant Camel Man (Latif) but it's pretty cheap. If you do eat out that's fairly reasonable too.

Enjoy, wish I was going!

Let me know if you need any more info

vikki x

Norfolk, England
2. Re: dar Khayem Hammamet

Thanks Vicki, bit of a pain having to take towels but hey ho!

Also is it better to take sterling traveller cheques? I would think so as if I don't manage to spend them all (unlikely I know) we could cash them up when we get home.

regards

Lynn x

Bradford
3. Re: dar Khayem Hammamet

We've always taken cash and used a safety deposit box (which are in the Reception of the Dar Khayam and you have to pay for). We've paid for things in sterling but also changed some into dinars - there's an exchange place in the hotel, next to the shop. You can also change traveller's cheques there too if you wish. Dont know if you know but it's a fixed rate in Tunisia, set daily by the government so no need to shop around for the cheapest rate.

Say hi to Midou, Didi, Kelly, Sheryl and Sam when you're there from Vikki, Craig And Conor!

Vikki x

Norfolk, England
4. Re: dar Khayem Hammamet

Thanks Vikki

Really useful info, 4 weeks tomorrow Yipeeeee.

Knew about the fixed rate which is easier but not about using sterling, would it be better to try and change some £ into Dinar when we land so we at least have some tipping money?, I'm assuming we do tip - good point!! any ideas on how much to tip always a bit difficult as we don't want to appear too tight or as though we've got Jacko's millions! Off holiday shopping today (just got paid), really excited.

Lynn x

leicestershire
5. Re: dar Khayem Hammamet

we went to dar khayam in june/july - excellent choice. you can tip in pounds if you have no dinar when you first arrive - we tipped the bar staff a dinar or two a couple of times a night - we tipped our waiter and the maid £5 each at the end of our stay.

Bradford
6. Re: dar Khayem Hammamet

Yeah I agree with Ant1969 Lynn, we gave a pound to the porter at the airport, although I do find them very annoying as they virtually force your trolley off you and insist on pushing it to your coach (which isnt far from the actual airport anyway!). And since I had my duty free stolen this way in Cuba it's put me off using porters! At the Dar Khayam, we tipped a couple of the waiters at the pool bar and he brought us drinks whenever he was passing so it definitely helps, a couple of dinars every so often is fine, they put a basket on the bars so we just put some change in there too if we had any spare. At the end of the holiday we tipped the bar staff at the inside and outside bars, the maid, Sam and Midou and our waiter in the restaurant but that was just our choice cos we found them so excellent. My boyfriend also gave his England shirt to Midou which is greatly appreciated! We also left some of our toiletries such as shower gel with Kelly and Sheryl. But whatever you can afford and feel comfortable doing is fine, they appreciate anything you give them as they're on low wages but they will still give you fab service even if you dont tip them.

vikki x

7. Re: dar Khayem Hammamet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:49 am, October 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet