We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunis to Djerba

Which Djerba Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
reviews: 3
Tunis to Djerba

Have booked flights to Tunis, but would like to head down to Djerba to relax. Is this feasible with only 6 days as a holiday? Any recommendations for nice quiet seaside places near Tunis in that case?

Thanks

Miami, Florida
1. Re: Tunis to Djerba

Hi,

Djerba is a bit too Far . I would recommend you to Visit Hammamet.

Doncaster
reviews: 13
2. Re: Tunis to Djerba

To get to Djerba involves a combination of transport.

Train from Tunis to Gabes which is around a 6 hour journey (4 departures a day) then a taxi from the train station to Gabes Louage station to take a shared taxi (allow 2 hours +) to Houmt Souk on Djerba. Part of that journey involves a short ferry ride and sometimes there can be a considerable wait for the ferry due to massive queues. Once there you will then need to travel to the beach hotels if that's where you want to stay so another taxi ride.

It's quite a long haul (I've done it a couple of times) and you need to allow a day to do it with an early start. If you have an afternoon flight departure on your return and there is congestion on the ferry or if the louage waits to fill up before leaving then you stand to miss your flight.

I would recommend either Hammamet or Sousse/Port el Kantaoui. Both of which can be accessed by booking a shuttle bus service from Tunis Airport.

Edinburgh
reviews: 13
3. Re: Tunis to Djerba

I agree with last 2 suggestions

Hammamet or Yasmine Hammamet in particular.

Yasmine has some lovely beach hotels to relax and of course short trip into Hammamet Town from Yasmine and also to Nabeul which is worth a visit.

Had you been for a longer stay or had been flying into .Enfidha Airport

I would have suggested Sousse.. or Pek of course

As stated, Djerba from Tunis is a 3 day camel hike !

(pun intented)

Edited: 5:44 pm, November 01, 2013
4. Re: Tunis to Djerba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:30 pm, December 23, 2013
London, England...
5. Re: Tunis to Djerba

Thanks all, very helpful. I'll leave djerba for the next time!

Liverpool
reviews: 10
6. Re: Tunis to Djerba

You can book a small plane from Tunis to Djerba, they go several times a day. Have a look on Tunisair website. they are reasonably priced, about 90 dinar (return) and it takes less than an hour to fly down there. The weather is normally a little warmer than up north, and i prefer the beaches there.

7. Re: Tunis to Djerba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Djerba Island
More Djerba Island Topics