We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Djerba 8th June 13

Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
First time in Djerba 8th June 13

Visiting Djerba for the first time on the 8th June. Staying at the Iberostar Mehari. What should I expect? what will the weather be like? do any of you recommend any day trips? and also I've seen on a few forums that people have mentioned the men have to wear trousers of an evening, can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Thanks alot!

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
11. Re: First time in Djerba 8th June 13

Hii!! Thank you for your detailed reply! Very helpful! Glad you had a good time! We go tomorrow!! Eeek!!!

Were staying in the vincci resort! It looks lovely didnt realise it was a children's hotel hahah! Most complaints are about the food or the que at the bar haha! But then again the english are good at 2 things manners and queuing! Haha yeah ive done the haggling thing before although i find it quite embrassing youll only get ripped off wont ya if you don't! Haha oh good im glad some one has told me the food is alright as the guy in Thomas cook said the food was like the Egyptian food which everytime ive been there its been vile! And ive not eat haha! Oh i think ill stick to wine! Thanks for that. Yeah we've looked at going on the quads and to the crocodile zoo! :) defo think well go at 4 when its feeding time! If you don't mind me asking how much did you take/spend ?? As Thomas cook said we cant get there money untill were in there country because its a closed currency? So me and my partner were just going to take a set amount and exchange bit bt bit a day so were not left with any over because some people say if you haven't got your receipt at the end of the holiday you can't change the money back!? So strange!!

Thank you for your reply! If i think of anything else ill try ask you in the space of 24 hours!! Thank you!!!

Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
12. Re: First time in Djerba 8th June 13

hello, thats ok, ohh I am so jealous! wish I was going back tomorrow lol

I took £500 and only spent about £280, and I bought quite a lot of cigarettes and fake stuff lol but yeah I only changed it up a bit at a time so i didnt have any left over. I was really surprised at how cheap everything was and how little I needed to spend. Yeah we were told you can only get it when you get there, but Gatwick did advertise it but at a rubbish exchange rate so we just changed it up at our hotel.

Yeah no worries if you need any more info just drop me a message! If not, then have a lovely time!

Level Contributor
4,648 posts
9 reviews
13. Re: First time in Djerba 8th June 13

Carly, the food probably is similar to Egypt, it's North Africa after all, lol. I'm sure you won't starve but please DONT think the food is like what's served over here, because you will be a little disapointed,there's no Mac D in Tunisia but hotels do try and cater for all nationalities , but I'm sure you will find pizzas, chips and plenty of salads and pasta dishes etc if you don't like the food. Me, personally, really don't see the point of going to another country and not trying the food, there will be something there you will like I'm sure.

Edited: 9:03 am, June 28, 2013
Leyland, United...
1 post
2 reviews
14. Re: First time in Djerba 8th June 13

Did the men need to wear trousers at the Mehari ? and thank you for all the other info too. We looking forward to our hol.

Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
15. Re: First time in Djerba 8th June 13

sorry for the delayed reply, I hope its not too late. Most men wore trousers at dinner time but not at any other time, if you dont wear them it doesnt matter, nobody will say anything, just most men seemed to. I wore trousers a few times and shorts a few times and nobosy seemed to mind

16. Re: First time in Djerba 8th June 13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Djerba Island
More Djerba Island Topics