We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood Market - buy & take to be cooked at......best place?

Which Rawai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 111
Seafood Market - buy & take to be cooked at......best place?

Hey guys, the boss and I are staying in Kata and want to come down to Raiwai for a lunch. We want to buy our fish/seafood from the market (near the jetty) and take it to one of the restaurants over the road to have it cooked up.

I know there is only a handful of them, but does anyone know which may be the best ?, can recommend a certain one ?..........or is there a particular one to steer clear of ?

Hope someone can help, going on 10/4/13.

Thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
reviews: 294
1. Re: Seafood Market - buy & take to be cooked at......best place?

We had our seafood cooked at Khun Pha restaurant, I think there is only 2 or 3 restaurants there. There is not really a huge selection of seafood, far more at Banzaan markets in Patong which can also be cooked at Hemingways restaurant or one of the little places upstairs at the markets.

Cathy

Brisbane
reviews: 111
2. Re: Seafood Market - buy & take to be cooked at......best place?

Thanks Cathy. May try doing both places!!

Gordon.

Phuket, Thailand
reviews: 1
3. Re: Seafood Market - buy & take to be cooked at......best place?

The seafood Market at Rawai used to be just a few stalls that the local 'Sea Gypsies' set up to sell the fish they caught that day. Things used to be very low key in those days and the locals would go and buy their seafood there to cook at home - (their were no restaurants there then) as it was sure to be fresh. Over the years the village has got more touristy with a lot of stalls selling souvenirs and several adjoining restaurants have opened up. So just choose the restaurant with the most people in it (a lot of expats will eat there regularly, choose your seafood then look at the restaurant menu for how you want it cooked. Rawai is very different from Patong, but as I haven't eaten at the Patong Seafood market I can only guess that Rawai will be cheaper and probably a more 'local' experience as you will be sitting in the middle of the Sea Gypsy Village and can watch the locals as they get on with their daily life. I would also recommend getting their before dark as you can stroll through the village to take a look at the boats and maybe even catch a beautiful sunset at Laem Promthep before you go the restaurant! If you want to see what Rawai is like try taking a look at www.rawaiphuket.blogspot.com

4. Re: Seafood Market - buy & take to be cooked at......best place?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 25, 2014