We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Beach...
Flying

Hi, I have really weak ear drums, and my trip to Patong will be my first flight overseas (YAY!), so I'm just wondering if anyones got any tips for flying that might make the trip alot less painful.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 33
11. Re: Flying

You have to be careful using normal kind of earplugs as you can damage your eardrums with the pressure changes while the plane is ascending or descending.

The Ear Planes have a kind of pressure relief valve that prevents any problem.

Sunshine Beach...
12. Re: Flying

Thanks everyone :)

I've got some earplanes, sudafed, loads of gum, nasal spray and loads of painkillers

So fingers crossed :)

Woodend, Australia
reviews: 11
13. Re: Flying

I always take Sudafed about 1 hr before the plane begins to descend which helps unblock nasal passages which can cause ear pain.

Sunshine Beach...
14. Re: Flying

Okay, thank you.

The doctor also gave me some prescpirtion nasal spray which should help unblock my ears which are always blocked.

Also just wondering if I'm alright to take blutac with me in my suitcase. I use it when I wash my hair so I don't get water in it

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
reviews: 9
15. Re: Flying

Another vote for chewing gum.

Sanctuary Point...
16. Re: Flying

I have a condition called superior canal dehiscence syndrome. Which means I have a smal hole in my balance canal, my symptoms are I can heart my heartbeat, ringing in my ears, I hear my footsteps, I hear my eyes move, I also sufferer from severe vertigo and severe pain with pressure changes. The best way I cope with take off and landing, I grab hold of hubby bury in head and tell myself that its only 10-15 mins discomfort at the beginning and end of the trip, which isn't to bad considering the flight is 9 hours.

Sunshine Beach...
17. Re: Flying

Oh wow, that sounds horrilbe!

My last flight we went to tassie and my partner had some great nail marks in his arm from me :)

Very excited! Tomorrow we leave :D

18. Re: Flying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 01, 2014