We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Caloundra, Australia
reviews: 12
Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

We made our Patong hotel booking for 5 nights (free cancellation ) in February 2013 through a reputable on lline booking site in August 2012. Our Visa Gard was charged AU$521.05 via Visa Card and we received our booking confirmation then. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there had bee an error in their booking system, this was as they sat us down, copied our passports, passed over an undated letter addressed to us and offered an apology. The lass said they had upgraded us into another hotel up the road which offered breakfast. That alternative hotel was okay but would not be our choice given the location further away from the beach.. No Email or text to advise, so we didn't have the option to book in elsewhere. We had to contact 3 tour operators to arrange pick ups elsewhere. Never before have we experienced this sort of treatment. Has this happened to you?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 76
31. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

TA is no longer owned by Expedia. It is a public company in its own right and you can buy shares in it if you want.

Caloundra, Australia
32. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

I phoned Expedia Travel services on the 1300 number this morning (it's different to the number on their website I've been ringing) . An "accented" male answered!. I hung up. As if having a hearing problem isn't bad enough. In my previous written contact I asked Expedia to advise a mailing address so i could write in pursuance of the issue. Nothing! The point is Expedia should be made aware of this sort of problem but how to get it across is proving difficult. I've decided not to pursue the matter. Thanks to all who gave support and input otherwise.

Cheers

Keith 041

South Lake Tahoe...
reviews: 36
33. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

It also happened to us in patong at DDC HOUSE. It's the way ddc house does business. They take all reservations if they are full , move you to hotel on the same street, so your next day is also ruined because now at noon check out. We then had to go back to ddc house for our booking. At 2 check in time. We had to wait in the lobby while the room is cleaned, with 3 other people in same circumstances, It's the hotels fault not booking company. We stayed for 4 days, each day it happened to some other unlucky guest. We booked with agoda no refunds so we had to deal with the proplem...

Caloundra, Australia
34. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

I empathise with you! So it happens to other people. In our case I reckon PPR made about AU$150 by changing us to another. hotel. Why, because when I checked booking sites for Leelawadee Boutique Hotel, Patong, where we were checked in, meant for a cheaper tariff. Certainly it was PPR's stuff up, but getting a satisfactory result from Expedia didn't come about.

For us to have ourselves booked elsewhere would have meant paying again and waiting for an eventual refund from Expedia.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
reviews: 17
35. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

" It's the hotels fault not booking company."

The hotel may be the opne causing this, but: you did not book with the hotel, you booked with Agoda. They are responsible and have to sort this out

"Why, because when I checked booking sites for Leelawadee Boutique Hotel, Patong, where we were checked in, meant for a cheaper tariff."

That is an indication, but what is important are the prices on the moment of booking. So the difference could have been even bigger, or maybe Leelawadee was even more expensive at the moment of the original booking.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
36. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

From Agoda's T&Cs "Agoda does not in any way (directly or indirectly, independently or in conjunction with any party) own, manage, operate or control the Hotels, or any room in such Hotels. The Hotels are liable and responsible for providing accommodation and welcome people who have booked through Agoda as their guests." That is their get out clause.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
37. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

So that clause means one makes a booking with Agoda for a certain hotel and Agoda takes no responsibility for that booking. I would think a clause like that would not stand up in any USA or European court, but that is a long way to go for a simple booking.

Any idea about other booking sites like hotel.com, sawadee, etc.?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
38. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

"So that clause means one makes a booking with Agoda for a certain hotel and Agoda takes no responsibility for that booking. I would think a clause like that would not stand up in any USA or European court, but that is a long way to go for a simple booking"

It will stand up to any legal scrutiny.

Agoda have taken responsibility - passed on the reservation details and payment to the hotel, they have fulfilled their requirements. The end product and the delivery is the responsibility of the hotel.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
39. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

I doubt it, I bought somehting from Agoda, not from the hotel, so in my reasoning Agoda is responsible. However they deny any responsibility.

Really bad customer service IMO, which leads again to the question: how do other bookingsites like hotel.com, sawadee etc. hanle this?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
40. Re: Hotel transferred booking to anotherhotel. Is this normal?

Do what I did to find Agoda's T&Cs. Go to their websites. Each company will have its own T&Cs that customers are supposed to read AND signify their agreement with before committing themselves to a booking. Individual bookings usually also carry advice to read the T&Cs of the hotel booked. These have to be taken together to determine responsibility in specific circumstances and set out who is liable for what.