We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to leave bag in beach?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 6
Safe to leave bag in beach?

We just arrived in Phuket st Patong beach and looking forward for a swim!! The water is beautiful. We have a lot planned in which we need to take our bag and wallets. Is it safe to leave your bag on beach while you're in the water? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 14
11. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

Would probably be careful at the beach as it's public, but does the same apply to resort pools? Do you think you'd be OK to leave a Kindle under your towel while taking a dip in the pool?

Thanks for the link to the waterproof money holder Britmaveric - will definitely look at getting on of those :)

Suz

australia
reviews: 9
12. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

You have to ask would you leave you stuff on the beach at home

I did once at a Melbourne beach thinking it was safe and got my bag pinched

So now I wouldn't leave it anywhere let alone phuket

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 119
13. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

Don't think I'd leave anything valuable on a beach here in Australia, so it's a no from me too. If we have anything more than a towel with us, we usually tag team, one of us sits out while the other swims and cools off. Might invest in one of those waterprof cases myself, they look good.

New York City, New...
reviews: 17
14. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

I was in Patong and had the same dilemma. I was traveling solo and wanted to go in the water. I had sunglasses, Ipod, book, etc.

I had rented a chair for 100 baht for the day and each time I went in the water, I asked another tourist/traveler to watch my bag. They (of course) said they would and then I returned the favor.

I would not recommend bringing expesive cameras, but everything else should be fine. Plenty of folks with IPADs, etc on the beach too

Gold Coast
reviews: 33
15. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

I would not leave a bag or wallet on any beach on this planet. Just asking for trouble.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 96
16. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

No one should leave anything valuable unattended, especially in PATONG!

This place is like a war zone, with touts everywhere, it is so crowded, you even have to rent a chair to sit down!

Melbourne
reviews: 34
17. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

I think there is a seinfeld episode that mentioned that the best place to leave your valuables whilst at the beach is to put your valuables in your shoes. Apparently theives never look there.

18. Re: Safe to leave bag in beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 14, 2014