We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Patong safe for females?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
reviews: 31
Is Patong safe for females?

I'm going to Patong for 5 days this weekend, alone as a 28yo female. My family is scaring me because they are so worried about me traveling alone. Is it that dangerous there? They keep saying how it is a 3rd world country and I could be raped or drugged or murdered! I don't believe this happens that often. I've traveled alone in Europe plenty. I don't know why everyone is freaking out about me being alone in SE Asia all of a sudden. Your safety tips please...

Corfu, Greece
reviews: 1
1. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

The people are awesome and very kind.. They maybe poor, but they are honest and respectful.. In tv never heard about Thai people who murder, kill, etc... Bit only for "civilazed" countries we have these situation.. So pay your respect to South East Asia people, beacause they have great culture and taste of life.. If you are not annoying them , if yoube careful the tuk tuk , if you respect their culture and belifs, you gonna have the time of your life and noone will hurt you..

australia
reviews: 26
2. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

Be vigilant as in any place, avoid overdrinking and be careful not to leave your drink in the bar uinattended, i woiuld be more worried about tourists than the Thai people, its very safe many families holiday there, patong especially is full of life and always crowded, again be cautious and youll be fine

enjoy

Darwin
reviews: 168
3. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

You will be perfectly safe provided you take all the 'normal' precautions. Eg, don't walk down dark alleys, swim alone at night etc. Lou

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 53
4. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

Use common sense and u will be fine.

#1 rule - dont get completely legless because bad things happen when you do.

Sanctuary Point...
reviews: 34
5. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

Agree with the above posts. Im 45 and female I have been twice now and travelled alone both times. I felt safer walking the streets there at night than I do back home in Australia. There are people everywhere so you won't feel scared. Like any where in this world common sense goes along way. People are so friendly over there and you will definately meet other travellers. Book a couple of tours, I found this a great way to meet people.

Enjoy your trip

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
6. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

Thailand is no different than any other place, just take the same precautions as you would anywhere and you'll be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
reviews: 26
7. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

100% with BOm and the ther posters.

Phuket is great and I also feel safer there than at home.

Be respectful of the people and use common sense, eg: dont walk dark streets alone at night or on the beach, dont leave drinks unattended and then drink them

And you will have a great time.

Your family is lovely to be concerned, and yes it is not a very developed country, however, Phuket is a tourist based town, and very differnt, and developed compared to other places in Thailand.

Go and enjoy, I always do

Michelle

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 74
8. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

Hi,

I am going to say as everyone else has said, Patong is fine, of course you use commen sense dont walk down dark alleys, keep an eye on your drink but most of all use common sense, whilst it is a developing country it is VERY beautiful & the people are friendly & always willing to help out, we take out 4yo son there nearly every trip & have never had any problems with the Thai's :) most problems are caused by westerner's being stupid.

Have a fantastic trip you will love it :)

TX

9. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, February 05, 2013
Edited: 7:35 pm, February 05, 2013
Perth, Australia
reviews: 37
10. Re: Is Patong safe for females?

Andy is sadly correct. Those facts can't be denied or ignored.

Cheers