We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
reviews: 6
JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Love writing this.....it takes me back all over again lol!

Day 3: Hubby is much better today so we decide to venture to Patong after breakfast at Karon Cafe AGAIN. Tip: Jungcelon doesn't open till 11...... we were there at 9:30 so we walked the markets and streets outlining the mall watching everyone set up for the day. The boys LOVED the mall more than I did but we had agreed no shopping till the day before we left. They had brought what THEY had saved for the holiday and we wanted them to shop around before they brought as they were more interested in label stuff than the markets (they did change their minds in the end :) For the "shoppers" everything you need is here, label shoes, handbags, clothes, beauty products. I could have spent longer here if I didn't have the males in tow. While exploring the mall, the boys discovered the "Simulation Rifle range" next to the movies where we paid 250B ($8) for 20 shots on any gun you wanted....sooo boring lol, but it kept the men happy. Stopped in to have a nosey at the movies.....freaked at how cheap it was so we went to watch Total Recall, it was about 800B ($25) fo rthe 4 of us with 4 large drinks and 2 large popcorn. You could also try the bowling next door it's cheap and it looked fun. Headed back to the hotel on a tuk tuk for 400B ($12) which was standard to and from Karon. We had heard there were markets in the temple so that was our next stop. I liked that it was small and easy to get around, not everyone had the same thing and they weren't pushy. On our way home we decided to stop in at a Tour Operators and book a tour to Phi Phi Island.....our first choice was Phuket Sail Tours but unfortunately at $100 each it was out of our budget so we opted for one of the "Cattle Ship Tours" at 800B ($24) each, it stared to rain so we headed home.

Day 4: We were picked up right on time at 7am to go to the pier for our day trip to Phi Phi. I was apprehensive as I'd read all the terrible reviews about the Cattle Ships. The modern 10 seater van arrived on time and we were with 4 other tourists. He wasn't the fastest driver we've had but I'm sure he was scaring the others on the van with us lol! At the pier we were given stickers to say we were Day Trippers and sent to our ferry. Thankfully TA had prepared me for the worst.....but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Yes there were lots of us, the ferry was by no means new and the "Free" refreshments consisted of plain biscuits and bad coffee BUT at $24 each, I was looking for the good points. The weather was perfect, the scenery gorgeous and the photo ops endless. At arrival to Phi Phi we were divided into those getting off, those Scuba Diving and those Snorkeling, we then got on to a smaller boat which took us out to a little bay for an hours snorkel. This was the highlight of our whole trip thus far! The operator supplied the mask and snorkel and you could hire flippers, we didn't, just told the boys not to get too close to the coral. This was the boys first time snorkeling so our 13 year old fish enthusiast was amazed and the 15 year old thought it was fantastic! We headed back to Phi Phi to have lunch.....I thought it was terrible but again I wasn't expecting much. Hubby and the boys on the other hand pigged out, lucky it was a buffet. Spent an hour having a look around the island, really just the stalls, where the boys watched me haggle for the first time. I was in my element and the boys watched in awe as I bargained for a silk shirt from 600B down to 250B, great fun! The boat ride back was bumpy as the weather packed it in, good timing. Overall I thought it was worth $24, even just for the photos and snorkeling. We had paid $130 a month before for a day trip to Whitehaven Beach and snorkeling and the only real difference was we spotted some whales and better food. I still have my heart set on doing a day trip with Phuket Sail Tours and next trip I will!

Ofelia :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
1. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Ofelia,

I love reading your reports, we always take the kids to see a movie or 2 at Jungceylon (but only if it's raining).

Glad that you trip to phi phi worked out.

Keep them coming

Nellie

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Thanks for another great report and glad "Cattle ships tour" wasn't as bad as you were dreading.

Gold Coast
reviews: 6
3. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

*Just realised this should be Day 4 and 5 :)

Thanks Nellie, we actually did go back again when it rained.

Phuket Thailand
reviews: 8
4. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Hello Ofelia. A good read. I am glad that you enjoyed your trip to Phi Phi, sounds like it went well.

Keep your heart set and maybe we will see you next time you are here.

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 35
5. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Hi Ofelia

Sounds like you have been anjoying your time in Phuket, I'm enjoying the read

Andy

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
reviews: 294
6. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Another good one Ofelia just a tip for next time if you get to Jungceylon early the supermarket Big C opens at 10am:)

Glad you enjoyed the cattle tour, its the good points you will always remember.

Cathy

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 2
7. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Love reading your reports Ophelia. It was also good to read your account to Phi Phi on "cattle class" :) We have a Phang Nga tour booked with Phuket Sails but with four adult prices doing Phi Phi as well was a bit too much. We might now consider the cattle class tour to Phi Phi if our teens so desire, when we are there.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

Brisbane
reviews: 40
8. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Enjoying your trip reports. :) Keep them coming!

australia
reviews: 30
9. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Thank you. Always a good read.

Sydney Australia
reviews: 52
10. Re: JBR: Budget Family Holiday....Day 3 and 4

Great report, waiting for the next one.

Glad the cattle class trip went well for you, keep PST in your dreams, once you've been with them you will appreciate the value for money. You now have great memories that will remain with you forever, regardless of the cost. For $24 you had a great day.

We've also done cattle class trips by speedboat at many locations and have never had a bad day out, its just when you do a PST, particularly by sail, you are really spoilt. Keep them in your dreams and budget for next time.