We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time thailand merlin beach resort

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
merseyside
reviews: 2
first time thailand merlin beach resort

Hi First time to thailand going in july with hubby and my son who 16 dont know what to expect.

Can anybody recommend any good trip also would you change your money in thailand or uk .

Staying at Merlin Beach Resort would anybody know whether there is fridges in the rooms. (to cool beer down) thanks

melbourne
reviews: 9
1. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

Hi yes there are bar fridges in the room. they dont mind you taking out the mini bar stuff and putting your own things in.

Change your money when you get to Thailand it is a much better rate. You can change money at the airport the rate is not to bad.

There are many good trips to do ,if you can give us an idea of what sort of things you are interested in. There are many tour shops in Patong shop around for price as you can bargain.

merseyside
reviews: 2
2. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

Hi thanks for the info.

Any good boat trips and anything for my son whos into sport

Perth
reviews: 14
3. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

HI,

Have stayed at Merlin Beach 3 times now and have loved every minute

Cant wait to get back there!

Try little tiger up the hill for a great view and a cheap meal

There are HEAPS of day trips the list goes on and on. If you are looking at boat trips I recommend you speak to people while you are there because due to tide changes etc some trips are better than others at certain times of the year

My hubby and I did the sea canoe trip and it was fantastic. You go up inside an old volcano and the view was amazing

I was not keen on snorkeling but I am so glad my hubby pushed me to go we were taken to a place where the water is like a warm bath the water is filled beautiful tropical fish

Get your money exchanged while you are there - it is not like Bali etc where they try and rip you off

Yes there is a small mini bar fridge in the room

Let me know if you have any other questions

Have a fantastic trip!@!

Ness

Australia
reviews: 7
4. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

Hi Raven 567,

I have read some of your other post on Merlin Resort, they are very informative, just a quick one we are booked in there for end June its our 10 year anniversary I have already book a tour with Capt Mark.

Do you know much about freedom beach ?

Also where did you go for snorkeling ?

Is it worth going to Karon or Katan beach ?

Did you use any drivers whilst you were as we are looking at booking one for a day trip and shopping any suggestions ?

Sorry to bombard you with questions....

Many Thanks

Tars

Anchorage
5. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

I don't know what your budget is, but the perfect tour for a 16 year old or a 60 year old like me is the ATV tours. The longer the tour the better and go on the day after a good rain. You will get dirty, but you will also have a ball.

Have fun

Tony

Perth
6. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

HI,

I am always happy to answer any questions

Sorry dont know much about Freedom beach

It was on our honeymoon we did the snorkeling (6.5 years ago) so cant remember the exact name of the tour. It was part of a full day island tour. We went to PhiPhi and the island where the movie was filmed (was it blue lagoon?) Hope that helps a bit

We went on a big speed boat 3 massive engines. Make sure you check the boats out when booking. I personally would prefer to pay a bit more for a better boat with more than 1 engine

Can 100% recommend the snorkeling we loved it so much we came home from our honeymoon and got out dive tickets. We have since returned for 2 dive holidays (before our honeymoon I had never even snorkeled before)

Karon & Kata are worth a look

If you are feeling like a big kid at Karon there is a Dinosaur Park with a small mini golf.

Not the cheapest but we had fun. There is a little cafe/bar you sit on "Flintstones" style fake roke tables and chairs the gardens are pretty and have misters going. It was a nice place to sit and have a drink on a hot day

Last 2 trips we have hired motorbikes from the hotel so I am sorry I cant recommend a driver

Hope this helps a little

Ness

Perth
7. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

Me again...

As Tonybinak stated the ATV tours are great and they do cater for all levels - even my mum gave it a go

I would not recommend you do any of the full day elephant treks - we did the full day trek where they take you to the mainland. Total waste of time we spent most of the day in the minivan.

You can feed and ride the elephants at Fantasea Or you can do many other tours like 5 in one 6 in one where you do a range of other activities plus ride the elephants - much better

Simons Caberet and Fantasea are both a great night out.

If you are an animal lover avoid the zoo

Australia
reviews: 7
8. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

Thanks Ness and Tonybinak appricate your advise I just opened their web site looks good.

Do you have much advise on good shops to visit not sure if Jungceylon is any good or should I venture into Phuket town...

I see CathyandGary talk about Jinda store in patong ,

also i read there are OTOP markets near the Merlin Beach Resort any idea on what they are like ?

Many thanks

I know i ask alot its just i like to be prepared before I go to a new area and have as much back ground knowledge as possible...

Cheers

Tars

Brisbane
reviews: 26
9. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

Hi we just came back from Thailand, we spent 3 days at the Merlin Beach Patong and thoroughly enjoyed it. The location is great, the Otop markets are across the road from the resort (not the beach side, the main entrance side), they are huge and when we were there very quiet. Barter hard there. There are a lot of the same shops throughout but I managed to get a few bargains. Right in the middle of the markets are a lot of little bars, one of them is the Tiger Bar and we often stopped there for a cool drink. the guy who owns it is called 'Wat' and he is lovely. Say high for us if you go there, he has a tee-shirt which the guys signed on the roof, 'from Rob & Jeff'. We found the resort lovely, the three pools are great and the waiters walk around the pool all the time taking drink orders. The rooms are great, very clean and look out over all the pools. We were very happy there and would definitely stay again. We went for dinner one night at a place down at Karon called Dino's. Its the restaurant someone else was telling you about, eg Flintstone style. The food was beautiful and every night there is a 5 yr old elephant out the front that you feed bananas to. He takes your money from you and gives it to the handler. We spent a lot of time watching and feeding him. We also stayed at Kata Beach Resort - right on the beach at Kata and that was quite good. Not as nice as Merlin though but great location. I did a lot of shopping from my towel on that beach, it was great. Have fun and safe travels.

melbourne
reviews: 9
10. Re: first time thailand merlin beach resort

broniqld are you talking about the patong merlin in patong as the merlin beach resort is out of patong at Tri Trang.

If it is the Patong merlin, Kathymerseyside the shuttle bus from the merlin beach resort drops you off at the Patong Merlin and you can walk across the road to the markets Broniqld was talking about.