We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 15
Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

Hi

Travelling to Patong Jan '08 and would love to experience elephant treking. However, I would appreciate advice on organisations that are reputable i.e. the elephants are not mis-treated or used to make profit, otherwise I refuse to go!

Thanks in advance!

ST

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 14
1. Re: Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

All Elephants, everywhere, are used to make a profit! The mahouts live/make a living from the fact that elephants are working. \Full Stop.

Elephants were used in agriculture/forestry and now that is not available, then they change to Tourism.

Please do not be so emotional about the pachyderms.

Scotland
2. Re: Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

Thanks for your input, Yonny.

I'm simply keen to avoid set-ups where the elephants are not treated well.

I've studied tourism and am aware that, in some cases, elephants are made to 'perform' to keep us tourists happy. Something I do not want to encourage. Well aware that elephants were once a huge part of Thai life.

Perhaps someone can suggest a elephant sanctuary to visit?

Yours emotionally,

ST

Tasmania
reviews: 2
3. Re: Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

Hi

You are after a elephant trek that doesn't have elephants preforming tricks, dancing, dressing up, painting what ever....am I right?

The place I'd recommend is Koh Chang, just outside of kata. It's not a rehab, but they do seem to really care about the animals and it's in a lovely setting. Put the name into the search engine and you will get heaps of info.

I'm exactly like you it seems

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
reviews: 27
4. Re: Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

I agree with Aspen about Kok Chang. Its a great spot and as a bonus you might get to see 2 live in gibbons!

You will struggle to find anything in Phuket that is not there to make a profit. EVERYONE is looking for a cut of your tourist dollar.

Scotland
5. Re: Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

Thanks guys.

Your advice is much appreciated! Will check out your suggestion.

ST

6. Re: Elephant Treking in Phuket - approved excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, September 30, 2009