We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Hi I'm thinking of coming to Thailand with my husband in December on Boxing Day! for 7 nights!

I have just returned from Hong Kong which I loved and friends are suggesting Thailand's food and shopping is much better!!!

I would be interested to hear from people who have travelled to both and any comments they may like to share.

Many thanks

Hell, Norway
reviews: 2
1. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

They are two completely different cultures and environments, can't really compare city like HK with a country like Thailand. HK still has a very Brtish feel to it; Thailand has no colonial past to alter its history and culture. I suspect you'll love Thailand too, but for different reasons.

Antipodes
reviews: 121
2. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

I expect you'll realise just how comparatively expensive HK was.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 21
3. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

You will love Thailand definitely !! And price-wise, everything is MUCH cheaper in Thailand..

Where are you thinking of spending your 7 nights? I always recommend spending a couple of days in Bangkok - to visit temples and shopping - and the rest relaxing at the beach :) You could always skip Bangkok but don't plan to spend your whole time in Bangkok cuz you will get bored.. unless all you want to do is shopping..

Enjoy :)

Australia
4. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Thanks for all your reply's!!!

Thailand it is!!!

Mokomoko I'm thinking of staying at the Holiday inn in Patong...It has some fantastic reviews. Now I just have to decide on which room to stay in ....the main wing or the buskakorn wing!!!

Do you suggest I stay in Bangkok before or after my stay in Patong??? can you suggest the best shopping places in Bangkok? love to shop !!!

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Hey,

I'd recommended spending time in Bangkok first.. visiting temples and shopping.. and afterwards you can just relax at Patong :)

For shopping, MBK is always a hit with tourists.. and if you are over in Bangkok over the weekend then go to the Chatuchuk weekend market, it can get a bit too hot though but you will love it !! There are also night markets in Silom - make sure you do lots of bargains here as they tend to put prices up by a lot when they see tourists..

Have fun !!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 71
6. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

"... afterwards you can just relax at Patong :)" over Christmas!!!!! Patong will be buzzing and packed, won't it? Depends what kind of resort and holiday you want.

Australia
7. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Great advice about shopping and the markets...Thankyou Mokomoko !!

Can you recommend a 4 star hotel around these areas in Bangkok for shopping/markets etc as I'll only be there for 2 days.

Andora buzzing and packed is fine by me!!!.

I'm having trouble getting in to the holiday inn as all the agents are saying there fully booked over xmas!! any suggestions as to another resort/hotel on patong beach which is the same standard..as I want to spoil myself this xmas!!!

Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Not sure about accommodation as I often stay at home each time I go back.. but try "Novotel Bangkok, Siam Square".. it is 4 stars.. and you can walk to MBK from there or catch a very short skytrain (less than 5 minutes).. and because it is near skytrain station, it makes travel around Bangkok much easier..

Siam Square is also another good place to do shopping.. the new Paragon is great too if you are after designers stuff..

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok is another option.. a bit further away but close to Skytrain so you can get around very easily..

The Dusit Thani Hotel, Bangkok is also close to the Skytrain station.. and close to Silom night market too (I personally don't like this much but I know lots of tourists do)..

Hopefully someone else would be able to recommend you hotels from their experience..

Australia
9. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Thankyou mokomoko.... some great hotel ideas !!!

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Thailand v's Hong Kong !!!

Hi,

It would be a good idea to email the Holiday Inn direct yourself, regarding bookings over the xmas period. We stayed there 2 years ago in July, it is certainly a lovely hotel, we stayed in the Busakorn suite, the rooms are superb.

We are going back to Phuket in 5 weeks time, this time we are staying in the Seaview Patong, it has also had good reviews on the site.

We have stayed in Bangkok twice on our many visits to Thailand, as in an earlier reply, 3 days is more than enough, and certainly do Bangkok first.

Enjoy your experience.

Badger.