We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi In December

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 56
Krabi In December

I have visited Thailand a number of times and previous visits around here have included Phuket, Phi Phi Islands and the usual suspects nearby.

I am considering staying in Krabi this December for about 5 days.

I would prefer staying near the beach (not more than 400 mtrs with view of the sea a bonus)

Not pursuing the nightlife.

Quiet time over noisy activities preferred but not totally isolated and with basic amenities nearby such as a little shopping, a 7/11 for last minute emergencies.

I would like to hear from travellers who can comment on the following places (pros and cons)

Ao Nang Sunset Hotel

Apasari Krabi Hotel

Krabi Resort

The Small Resort Krabi

Vogue Resort & Spa

La Playa Resort

I have travelled by train in Thailand before and I would be interested to hear from people who have used the overnight train from Bkk. How was the service? Did you travel first or second class? Which one would you recommend?

Also, how convenient is it to explore some of the islands from Krabi and if so, which island tour and companies would you suggest?

Any other advice always welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 5:01 pm, August 28, 2012
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 42
1. Re: Krabi In December

Hi Giorgio,

We stayed at Krabi Resort in 2008, it is the only resort directly on the beach in Ao Nang, it was really fancy but we liked it with our kids. The beach at Ao Nang is disappointing when compared to the other lovely beaches in Thailand, but it's a great base for getting to other islands. Koh Lanta might also be worth considering.

Not sure about the train as you would have to go to either Surat Thani or Hat Yai and then get a bus/taxi from either and the journey is about 4-5 hours long I think. Personally I would fly from Bangkok for this particular trip, even though I love the train. We use the train a lot in Thailand and have always found 2nd class to our liking, comfortable, clean beds and you get to see other travellers whereas in 1st class you are very isolated.

Jervis Bay...
reviews: 98
2. Re: Krabi In December

From your list Giorgio, we have also stayed at the Krabi Resort. This was several years ago,however the outlook from where you have breakfast is stunning.

You do have Nopparat beach just a short walk away from the Krabi Resort which is a nice beach. Hope you find something to your liking. CJ

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
3. Re: Krabi In December

Sorry, it should say the Krabi Resort is not really fancy! It was certainly adequate though and fancier than we usually stay in, the beach front room was lovely and as CJ says, the outlook for breakfast was wonderful.

London
reviews: 56
4. Re: Krabi In December

Cassnu/Chuckyjellie,

Thank you for your immediate responses ( it's a small leap from the Bkk forum)

Cassnu - you are absolutely right in suggesting flying as to convenience. However, as you may have gathered I love discovering Thailand inch by inch and knowing what it is like using the train (for the first leg anyway) will give me a good sense of perspective when advising others and of course there is the inconvenience of getting a bus etc but it's all part of the learning experience.

Both (and others who may see this post) what I was hoping to achieve (but I do not know if I am being ill advised) is using Krabi as a base and take advantage of local tour boat companies to visit, photograph and gather a general awareness of as many islands as possible. It is more about discovering and understanding then resting. I will do the latter when I return to my lodgins for the night presumably exhausted.

Thank you again.

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 7:18 pm, August 28, 2012
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
5. Re: Krabi In December

You will find Krabi very convenient for discovering other islands, for example it's closer to Phi Phi than Phuket.

6. Re: Krabi In December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 15, 2013