We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to Krabi in mid-Feb 08. I am trying to book a hotel which suits our needs. We want a hotel on a nice white sand beach and romantic setting, but also not too far from the local restaurants and bars. I have read many reviews on TA with pros and cons on both hotels. There are a few things I am mostly concerned:

1. Is Amari very far from Ao Nang, meaning, once you stay at the hotel, it is very unlikely you will be going anywhere or doing anything outside of the resort?

2. I read a recent review on TA, that Amari is a very small hotel and has a small pool which can be crowded at times. Is it true? And are there any nice restaurants inside the hotel (I only read reviews on one Italian restaurant in the hotel--well, we are certainly not going to Thailand for Italian food...)?

3. As for Centara, I read that the beach can get very crowded and noisy. Is it true? And are the food and drinks super expensive in the hotel--I mean, HOW expensive are they for example?

If anyone here has been to both of these two hotels, please give me some advice. I would greatly appreciate. Thank you!

Jean

Hong Kong
reviews: 8
1. Re: krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

Jeaning:

Probably you've read my review. My reply to your questions are:

1. Yes, but they provide free transfer to Ao Nang at 10am, 2pm and 6pm and return at 10:45am, 2:45pm and 6:45pm. So probably, you had no problem doing a lunch in Ao Nang, but for a dinner and night bars, you will have to take taxi back to the hotel which is easy but not cheap. In our case, we had quick dinner at 6pm and took the transfer, and we felt it was okay. Yes, it's very unlikely you will be going anywhere near the resort except going to resorts next door.

2. There's another thai + international dishes restaurant which guests having their breakfast there. You may walk to the resort nearby for lunch/dinner.

3. During our stay at Centara, it was excellent we didn't feel crowded, but donno how the environment there has been evolved. The beach at Amari is certainly quiet. If Centara is considered to be crowded, then I would really concern that you may find Amari has the same potential of getting crowded because it is definitely less spacious, and really depends on your luck, if most of the guests staying outside, it will be difficult to find even a sunbed. I would think Centara serves more families than Amari, and Amari serves more couples, so maybe Amari will be more quiet due to this. Regarding the food menu, I believe Amari is more reasonable, Centara is more expensive because they have the teppanyaki, japanese, which are used to be expensive.

New York, NY
2. Re: krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

Thank you DWcho. I very much appreciate your insight. I have decided to made a reservation at the Centara, although it is slightly more expensive.

I plan to book a spa deluxe ocean view room--the club. Does anyone know how the view actually is from this kind of rooms (I read some reviews saying that NOT all rooms have good ocean view)? And is it worth to do the club spa deluxe room?

Hong Kong
reviews: 8
3. Re: krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

Jeaning:

We stayed at the spa deluxe room with a fantastic view, we did make a request to the hotel for a better view. Do make such request, there're certainly different views for this room type.

New York, NY
4. Re: krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

Thanks again dwcho! I will surely make the request.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 88
5. Re: krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

We also had a great view from our Spa Room. As you look at the resort from the beach we were to the right hand side.

We used Club (free upgrade) but in all honesty I would not pay for it. There is a small choice of snacks and a few spirits plus wine, fruit juice etc. The Club Room is really quite small although it does have free internet acess. We stayed just over a year ago and I think they were charging £30 a day, unless anything has changed.

Sarah

xx

6. Re: krabi hotel--Amari Vogue or Centara Grand Beach Resort??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 16, 2009