We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Which Kanchanaburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
reviews: 23
Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Does anyone know how frequent the buses from Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya are, and at what time the last one runs, please?

How long does the bus take also?

Thank you!

Edited: 5:10 am, January 23, 2013
Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
1. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Hi,

There are no direct buses between the two. However, there are buses that depart Kanchanaburi every 15-20 minutes for Suphanburi where you have to change for Ayutthaya. How frequent the buses operate from Suphanburi I don't know.

There is a minibus which departs Kanchanaburi early in the afternoon and goes directly to Ayutthaya.

Kanchanaburi...
reviews: 32
2. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Hi

The only direct bus is via a mini van as what AjarnAndy has stated. It leaves at 1.30pm and takes about 2 hours to reach Ayutthaya. However during the low season, the bus may not run. You can ask your hotel to check for you. Bookings can only be made the day before you travel.

Manchester, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Okay thank you!

I think I am going to see Ayutthaya and Kanchanaburi at different times now - Ayutthaya on the way up to Chiang Mai, and then Kanchanaburi after I have come back to Bangkok (before I depart south).

I think this may work better!

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
4. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Hi,

Check the rail schedules, it may be easier to visit Ayutthaya on the way back from Chiang Mai having travelled overnight. Good luck with the planning !

anchorage alaska
reviews: 43
5. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Forgive me for piggy backing on this conversation, but during the high season, does the direct mini-bus from Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya fill up pretty quickly?

Our travel plans have us arriving in Bangkok at 11pm. So we were going to just relax the next morning then catch the 1:30pm train up to Kanchanaburi. Spend a couple of days there and would like to then go direct to Ayutthaya rather than back to Bangkok and up. I've read that the non-direct mini buses are horrible so if we can get the direct mini bus that would be great! Can a guest house in Kanchanaburi book the direct mini bus sooner than 1 day prior?

Worldwide
reviews: 618
6. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

I think Ayutthaya could be convenient as a stopover either northbound or southbound between BKK and Chiang Mai - depending on how you might want to see Ayutthaya.

Northbound: you could depart BKK early in the morning, spend the day and have dinner in Ayutthaya, and continue northward by sleeper. Alternatively, go to Ayutthaya (by train, bus, or van though I personally avoid the vans when possible) in the afternoon, overnight there, and continue to CM the next evening. Evening departures with sleeper accommodations depart Ayutthaya for CM about 1945, 2100 and 2330.

Southbound: Southbound arrivals from CM with sleeper accommodations are scheduled to arrive at Ayutthaya about 5 and 7 AM (but expect them to perhaps be ~~~0-2 hours late). So you could get in a whole day in Ayutthaya and continue by bus or train to Bangkok in the evening, and to Kanchanaburi on any morning after that (or leave Ayutthaya earlier if you want to reach Kanchanaburi on the same day).

However, if you go directly Kanchanaburi-Suphanburi-Ayutthaya you would see countryside that's off the tourist track. That's a route that I haven't yet taken, but hope to take someday. Personally, I would probably start that run by mid morning, and perhaps wander around Suphanburi for a bit, and maybe have lunch there, before continuing to Ayutthaya.

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
7. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Post 5,

Yes, you can buy a ticket for the minibus the day beforehand. If the guest house you are staying at cannot sell you a ticket there are many travel offices/agents on the main tourist strip in Kanchanaburi that can.

Kanchanaburi...
reviews: 32
8. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

Unfortunately none of the tour agents will confirm the mini bus to Ayutthaya more than one day before your travel. I think the main reason is because the mini bus comes from Ayutthaya, so they have to wait and see if there is a bus coming in (from Ayutthaya it starts in the morning).

And I have not heard about the lack of seats in the mini bus even in the high season. What can happen is that there is no bus going at all.

9. Re: Buses from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya & time of last one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 25, 2014