We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hell Fire Pass

Which Kanchanaburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 14
Hell Fire Pass

Will be in Kanchanaburi in August to visit Hell Fire Pass and was wondering how long it takes to do the full walk using the audio guide they provide and how difficult the walk is?

I have read that the full walk is 4kms. Is that the return distance or one way?

Also any suggestions on whether it is better to make your own way there and back from Kanchanaburi or to go on a tour would be appreciated.

We are two late 50's Aussie males and Hell Fire Pass is the main reason for our two days in Kanchanaburi so we want to do it properly.

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
1. Re: Hell Fire Pass

Hi,

The full walk is 4 km one way but many people don't go that far. Last time I did the walk (to the end) without the audio it took about 2 hours from the museum and back. According to a booklet published by the museum the same walk would take about 3 hours including the use of the audio.

I am close to your age and reasonably fit and for me it is by no means a difficult walk. Indeed, I have seen many older people do it. For the first few minutes you follow a path down to what used to be the railway line and from there the walk is fairly flat, just a few meters up and down here and there.

You could take a tour but I think you would be much better off making your own way there and spendiing the best part of a day in the area, especially since it is the reason for you visiting Kanchanaburi. Moreover, aside from the walk you will need some time to view the museum. If you take a tour you probably won't have enough time to appreciate what there is to see.

There is a local bus service from Kanchanaburi which runs about every hour or you could hire a songtaow (pick up truck) for a few hours. I would be inclined to take a bus unless you would like to visit another place during the day. If you take a bus you will have plenty of time to do it properly.

Enjoy such a wonderful and moving place to visit. For me it is one of the 'must see' places in Thailand.

Edited: 10:50 am, March 06, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 14
2. Re: Hell Fire Pass

Thanks ArjarnAndy, great information. Do you know how often the bus runs to that area and how long it takes? I imagine it wouldn't be too often.

We would probably take the train back to Kanchanaburi.

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
3. Re: Hell Fire Pass

Hi GeeBee053,

To get there by bus you will need to take the service for Thong Ph Phum which leaves from the bus station approximately every hour. The journey takes about 1.5 hours. Finding the correct bus is easy and there are people on hand at the bus station to give you a hand.

I shall send you a personal message later with other possible options and ideas.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Hell Fire Pass

Hi

I am heading to Kanchanaburi in June to visit Hellfire Pass also and was wondering about the best way to travel there to give sufficient time to do the walk and visit the museum so thanks for the info. Also want to do the train trip back from Nam Tok back to Kanchanaburi afterwards.

AjarnAndy, wouldn't mind a PM on other possible options ideas also. Looking at doing the bus trip to Erawan falls for the day also.

Cheers

Kanchanaburi...
reviews: 28
5. Re: Hell Fire Pass

I would recommend that you take the audio. It is very informative. The audio set is free. You pay a deposit of 200 baht and you get the deposit back when you return the audio set.

Racr52 - you can easily get a bus from the Kanchanaburi bus station to Erawan. The first bus is 8am and the bus runs every 50 min. The trip is 1.5 hours and the last bus back is 4pm from Erawan.

For Hellfire Pass, you can take the first train to Nam Tok, then hop on to a bus to Hellfire Pass. Or you can take the local bus that is heading for Sangkhlaburi and stop at the Hellfire Pass.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 2
6. Re: Hell Fire Pass

Agree the audio is very good and informative.

The walk is no hard at all.

Very interesting.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 31
7. Re: Hell Fire Pass

We did a private tour with Good Times Travel and made up our own itinerary.It's worth pricing because you ca combine several activities,

Auckland, New...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Hell Fire Pass

Thanks Judyksp

Wasn't sure about busing to Hellfire Pass from Nam Tok as most people had commented that taxis were few and far between there so thought buses wouldn't be around.

Had thought about a tour, but appears that they wouldn't give us enough time at Hellfire Pass or Erawan, so thought busing would be better.

Appreciate your comments.

Cheers

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
9. Re: Hell Fire Pass

There are buses from Nam Tok to the Hell Fire Pass, no worries. If you take a bus for Sanghklaburi be sure to take the local one since the A/C bus doesn't stop at Hell Fire (unless this has changed recently). I will get back to you later as well. A tour would give you very little time to see such a beautiful place and take in the surroundings.

Chapala, Mexico
reviews: 6
10. Re: Hell Fire Pass

How do you get down to Hell Fire Pass from the ground level? Are there alot of steps?