We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Which Hat Yai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuantan, Malaysia
reviews: 4
Driving from Ipoh to Betong

My family would like to drive to Betong from Ipoh in 2 cars? How do we do that? Do we need to apply for permits to drive into Betong? We plan to visit Betong mid December.

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Are you aware of the serious problems in Yala? Its not a safe place to visit.

Pg
reviews: 64
2. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Lee55_12,

so far there isn't any happenings in Betong .

Normally, driving cars into Thai towns, you need to take along the ORIGINAL copy of owner card.

After all the passports chopped, the OWNER/S will go to the custom booth to declare "import" of cars into Thailand.

Please take note that IF DRIVER /S IS NOT IN THE GROUP. then a letter of authorisation must be produced.(it is best to have few copies signed- just in case someone decide to keep one copy)

The authorisation must be signed by owner, stating authorising Mr.xxxxxxxx(mykad number :............) to drive to xxxxxx from when to when ( a longer period is suggested).

also states the car registration number, chasis number, enginge number.

Of course needless to say is everyone must have valid passport and bring along Mykad.

When pass through the custom point, a copy of the declaration of IMPORT is given back to you (MUST GIVE BACK), this copy is to return to the customer when you EXIT the country. Of course , the documents need to be signed.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 3:44 am, November 14, 2012
Kuantan, Malaysia
3. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Thank you very much for the most comprehensive and helpful information you've provided.

By the way, are photostated copies of the car registration cards allowed? I understand that such copies can be certified in the police station at Pengkalan Hulu.

Thanks again for the info and advice.

Pg
4. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Lee55_12,

Sometimes , it depends on the individual officer who is manning.

Certified copies by Police Officer do acceptable by them.

just in case you meet one of them who insist on sighting the original at entry point, you may just have to spend times trying to convince, This could upset your mood.

For entry, they want to sight original, the photocopies is not really necessary. it is advised to bring along is just in case someone want to keep a copy for filing.

Kuantan, Malaysia
5. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Vinerlies,

Thanks again for the info. Shall bring the original copy then.

NORWICH
reviews: 53
6. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

I know this may be a bit late - so not sure if you made it to Betong.

I personaly would not take my car over from Malaysia into Thailand. I would leave it on the car park and go over the border via taxii.

Went to Betong last October and our driver would not take his car over - said it was to dangerous. Plus I think you need the correct docuements to do so.

As it happened when we left Betong they started to search our drivers car. Don't see many westerners (Farang) in Betong so got out of car and let them take a look and also they queried my partners passport. It differed slightly from mine. I have the new "chip" passport and he didn't.

Been to Thailand many times and found Betong a very very shady place and would not feel safe walking around there at night on my own..

I think the Forieign Office is not keen on westerners visiting Betong and I can see why now I have been.

However - glad we went for the experience

Julie and Adrian

Edited: 12:54 pm, February 20, 2013
Kuantan, Malaysia
7. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience driving to Betong.

Thanks to Vinerlies, our family of 7 went in 2 cars and our entry into Betong went without a hitch. The information provided by Vinerlies in response to my post was most helpful and comprehensive. I guess we had all the necessary documents so that really helped.

We had a wonderful holiday in Betong! The drive from Ipoh was good because we also checked out Lenggong and Grik which we had never visited before, on our way to Betong.

Pg
8. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Lee55_12,

you are welcome.

Did you stop at Lenggong and Grik to sample their fresh water fish, especially their fresh water parang fish. the fish meat is awesome .

Kuantan, Malaysia
9. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

Vinerlies,

We did, at Grik - cheap and delicious!

At Lenggong, we tried the Loh Dee wantan mee which we all enjoyed very much.

Pg
10. Re: Driving from Ipoh to Betong

yes, it is good.