We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to go Hat Yai now?

Which Hat Yai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 4
Safe to go Hat Yai now?

There was recent bombs at Hatyai at Le Garden Hotel. I am wondering whta's the situation there now? I am travelling there in May. Not sure whether Hat Yai safe or not?

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: Safe to go Hat Yai now?

Its unclear. There were reports that authorities were searching for a number of stolen cars - the car used in the bombing was stolen. Currently there is a high security level in and around the town/airport. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but Hat Yai has been bombed in the past. On average its a fairly safe place but there is no knowing if this was a one-off or part of an escalation of attacks. I'd suggest keeping an eye of the news.

Singapore
reviews: 4
2. Re: Safe to go Hat Yai now?

Thanks for your kind updates. Looks like I have to check the news regularly. Wonder Lee Garden hotel still in operation or not? I have already booked the hotel which is just across this hotel. Hope by May everything is back to normal. But looking at it, the security there should be very tight so could be good too.

Bangkok, Thailand
3. Re: Safe to go Hat Yai now?

I'm not sure about the Lee Garden being open or not. There was a lot of water and smoke damage apart from the basement bomb, and I'm guessing it'll be closed for a little while while they make repairs and clean up.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 42
4. Re: Safe to go Hat Yai now?

We were in Hat Yai last May and although the previous bomb had gone off some years ago there was still a heavy police and military presence around, especially outside Lee Gardens/Novotel (where we stayed). There were even military doing searches through the hotel corridors, but I wasn't really that nervous. However, I would probably think twice about going there at the moment, especially as we had our children with us - such a shame as it's a great little town.

Penrith, Australia
reviews: 5
5. Re: Safe to go Hat Yai now?

Department of Foreign Affairs Australia has a do not travel warning for that part of Thailand.

Edited: 2:44 am, April 05, 2012
Pg
reviews: 65
6. Re: Safe to go Hat Yai now?

no one can ever tell on this "terrorist attack"(as reported).

For other southern towns like Yala , Sg Golok, there have been frequent unsignaled bombs that have taken more than a thousand lives for the last few years.

Sad ! Sad !

7. Re: Safe to go Hat Yai now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, June 19, 2013