We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel n the north

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thailand
reviews: 11
Train travel n the north

I would not necessarily expect to rely on train travel in the north of Thailand at the moment. In recent months, there have been as many as 12 derailments involving North-bound trains. There were 89 derailments in 2012 and the total reached 113 by September 10 this year. I’m not saying don’t travel by train: just be aware that it may not be simple and straightforward, particularly in times of peak demand.

Brisbane
reviews: 6
1. Re: Train travel n the north

Never mind train travel in the North....

BANGKOK, 17 September 2013 (NNT) – A train has derailed just 300 meters from the Hua Lamphong main terminal in Bangkok on Monday, only a few days after an earlier derailment in the Bang Sue area of the capital city.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
reviews: 21
2. Re: Train travel n the north

It's amazing nobody has been killed yet...

KL
reviews: 16
3. Re: Train travel n the north

Plan to take train from bangkok to chiangmai this october, but got this from Thailandtrainticket ;-

"Due to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has allocated 2.8 billion Baht for major maintenance work on the northern line between Sila-Art station to Chiang Mai , would be suspended from September 16 to October 31,2013 (for 45days). As the result , they must stop service for Train no.1 , and Train no.13 . And other trains as train no.9,109,105,107, and 51 will run from Bangkok to Sila-Art Station only, then the SRT will provide buses to take passengers from Sila-Art station to destinations in Chiang Mai. Including the return from Chiang Mai to Bangkok from September 17 to November 1,2013 (for 45days) ,also stop service for Train no. 2 and 14. Other trains as 12, 52, and 102 will depart from Sila-Art Station instead."

Thailand
4. Re: Train travel n the north

Thanks for that. I guess I would travel by plane, and I would buy my tickets now. That's just my personal preference, of course: not advice. Good luck with your travels!

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 70
5. Re: Train travel n the north

Trains are falling of tracks like leaves off a tree at the moment. But it's still my favourite way to travel.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
reviews: 21
6. Re: Train travel n the north

The train is also my favourite way to travel, but only on modern, wide-gauge railway. Thailand is narrow gauge on ageing tracks so don't expect comfort. Even new narrow gauge tracks are going to rock around.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
reviews: 124
7. Re: Train travel n the north

explorerKl, thanks for that update.

Broder

8. Re: Train travel n the north

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, September 19, 2013
Brisbane
reviews: 6
9. Re: Train travel n the north

Your original post is appreciated, however in all fairness I think ExplorerKL's information was quite different and quoted dates, timings, train numbers etc which was new and valuable information.

Thailand
10. Re: Train travel n the north

I had that information to hand, but I can't make head or tail of it in such a way that I can guarantee travellers from abroad complete confidence in my translation of the information provided. And again, I hope this Forum is friendly, inclusive and welcoming.