We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
reviews: 12
Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Hi,

My 18yr daughter and I intend to be in Northern Thailand in July for a good 10 days or so and I'm really torn between the two guides above to show us around.for a few days Its been 25 yrs since I was up this way as a backpacker, (now more a flash packer..)

Would anyone like to share their experience and approx cost for 2 -3 days taking in the sights including rafting, authentic hill tribes and even motorbike riding thrown in. Willing to go as far as the Golden Triangle if feedback proves worthwhile.

Much appreciated.

Trish

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
reviews: 30
1. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

The FAQ on the top right hand side of the page will help you - there is one on trip reports which are full of tales of peoples experiences on the forum.

An excellent trip report from Iwanttogoshopping was just posted yesterday - she had Jermsak as her guide and speaks about what they did over a couple of days.

Caroline.

Brisbane
reviews: 10
2. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Why not email both guides you mentioned, give full details of the number of days you are thinking of devoting to touring, the sights you'd like to see, the specific kind of thing you are interested in, and ask them to give you a quote that includes cost of fuel, attraction entry fees, whether you want overnight stays included (i.e., do you want to return to your Chiang Rai accommodation each day, or do you want to stay overnight somewhere, continuing the tour next day(s) until finally returning to Chiang Rai). If you want to do it the second way, it will involve the guide's accommodation costs while away from base as well. You may prefer to do day-touring only, and if so, do you want consecutive days or would you like to have say 3 days spread over a week?

Jermsak's email is in the FAQ - Finding a Tour Guide. Scroll down to Chiang Rai guides. Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) isn't listed there but you should be able to contact him/her since you've apparently already done some research!

Hope you have a great time, either way!

Brisbane
reviews: 10
3. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

There are 47 reviews of Hillside Holidays under the Attractions tab here - also an email address - looking through these will perhaps give you a clearer idea of what you want to do. And it gets very good reviews. My guess is that you've already looked at their website - also plenty of pics there.

And look through the FAQ JBRs (all written by TripAdvisor travellers to Chiang Rai) for many recommendations of Jermsak, a very highly respected guide in Northern Thailand.

Christchurch, New...
4. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Thanks Caroline and Shirry. I was cautious about entering into email communication ....opening a can of worms and all that.....Right I shall bite the bullet and ask away directly to both. What a whus!!

Thanks heaps.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
reviews: 124
5. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Hi Katykiwi:

Welcome to the Chiang Rai forum!

As for costs, take a look in the FAQs on the upper right hand side of the forum page. There is a chart of prices for different tours. I created it almost a year ago so prices may have climbed a bit since that time.

I have used Jermsak many times and find him knowledgeable, kind, honest and genuine. He has been a guide for many years. He speaks excellent English and is a very humble man.

I don't know Pat, but hopefully someone else on the forum with personal experience with Pat will add to this thread.

I would echo Shirry's comment to contact each guide directly. Explain what it is you would like to do and the type of travel style you prefer and then ask the guides for quotes. You do need to make sure you are comparing "apples to apples" so you should inquire if the cost includes a driver (or if the guide will be driving), the van/car, fuel, entrance fees etc.

Have fun planning and don't hesitate to come back to the forum to ask more questions.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Christchurch, New...
6. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Following everyone's advice thank you border what alot of great info you have given.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
7. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Pat is the key guide for Thailand Hilltribe Holidays - the business gets excellent reviews. A regular forum poster is on staff. They seem to be based mainly at Mae Hong Son.

I agree with the advice above - email for quotes and compare itineraries.

Come back with anymore questions as they arise.

Caroline.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
reviews: 21
8. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Hi Trish,

It's nice to see you here in the Chiang Rai forum.

What kind of motorcyle riding do you want to try? twist & go? big bikes?

Twist & go scooters can be hired in most places from about 150 baht/day. Larger 250cc-650cc bikes with or without GPS Satellite Navigation units can be hired from Brian at Chiang Rai Big Bike Rentals (you'll find them with google), their bikes are from about 800 baht/day up to 2,000 baht/day.

Chiang Rai province is extremely popular worldwide with motorcyclists, and the most popular provider of maps and routes/advice etc is Golden Triange Riders www.gt-rider.com, they also run a large forum where you can talk with other motorcyclists and read trip reports etc.

This province has some stunning scenery and there is no better way to see it than on 2 wheels, but do be careful.

I recently did the trip from Chiang Rai to Nan over the 1080 highway, it follows the border with Laos down to Nan and climbs over the most scenic mountains, lakes & valleys I have ever seen. The road is very quiet as most traffic will take the main highway and it's dotted with a few quest houses if you get tired and want to stop.

I wouldn't recommend big bike riding unless you are both experienced, but if you are then 3 or 4 days on them with the advice from GT-Riders will give you memories for a lifetime.

There is also a monthly one-day ride organized by Marty on the ChiangRaiTies forum www.chiangraities.com, this usually has a couple of dozen riders on a mix of twist & go's, big bikes and even some pickup trucks and if it happens to be a day you're here is a great way to see beautiful scenery and socialize with the locals. It's usually about 150-250km in length and rides at a relaxing pace. Both Marty & Brian mentioned here are two of life's true gentlemen and very friendly.

If I can answer any more questions, please let me know.

Bruce

Chiang Rai, Thailand
reviews: 21
9. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Thailand makes no distinction between size of engines on motorbikes for anyone 18 years old and over. There is a limit of 100cc or 110cc for children, I am not sure of which.

Motorcycles, contrary to popular belief, are not dangerous. People are however. The best advice I can give anyone on a motorbike or in a car here, is drive defensively, always assume that the car or motorbike approaching your road from the left is going to pull out in front of you. Assume the car coming towards you turning right is going to turn in front of you. Always travel at a speed where you can avoid someone elses stupidity. If you're not used to motorbikes, you are at a much higher risk of an accident.

I have never been asked for a licence when I hire one, but the same rules apply for motorcycles as cars, there is a FAQ LICENCE Requirements tab on the upper right of this page.

Generally speaking, the main licence you will require is CASH.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
10. Re: Taking in the sights - Hilltribe Holidays (Pat) or Jermasak

Trish - I just remembered - my brother and his teenage son did motor bike riding on a tour with Jermsak about 18 months ago. Jermsak took my nephew and my brother had his own bike. They did a whole day trip all over the place through a number of hill tribes. Sorry don't remember any more detail about this, but they had a fantastic day.

Caroline.