We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
W Yorks
reviews: 12
Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

I had a fabulous weekend in Chiang Rai last weekend with my friend.

We stayed at the Teak Garden Spa and Resort, which I will do a seperate review on, but it was a lovely hotel, if a little on the quiet side! I think it is perhaps more of a conference centre and we were their only overnight guests - we had booked a twin room, but they gave us a double room each with an interconnecting door which was fabulous!

Our primary reason for visiting Chiang Rai was to see the White Temple. On Saturday with the help of our hotel receptionist who spoke really good English, we booked a taxi driver and arranged for him to take us to the Black House and the White Temple. We only decided the night before to go and see the Black House and wow I am so glad we did - we actually preferred it to the White Temple! We thought it was just going to be one Temple, but to walk amongst the 40 different houses was fantastic. There were very few other tourists, and it felt very calm and peaceful being there. The White Temple, whilst undoubtedly is a sight to be seen, felt very busy in comparison. I am glad however we took the time to see it, but we didnt stay as long as we planned.

On Saturday night we headed into town and went to see the clock tower, which does a brief light and music show on the hour every hour between 7-9. Would definitely recommend this! We ate in the Thai restaurant which was near the tower (sorry I didn't get the name, but if you find the clock tower you will know where I am talking about!) Good food, and a nice place to people watch!

We then went to the Walking Market. To be honest, and I feel a little guilty saying this, I wasn't that impressed. Perhaps my expectations were a little too high, but I far prefer the one in Chiang Mai. We sat and had a drink though and listened to the band and watch the dancing, which was nice.

On Sunday, we went to Doi Tung which I just loved! The Princess Villa was so interesting to walk around, and the gardens were just beautiful! I again would definitely recommend a visit here. It wasn't too busy and I felt like I learnt a lot about the Thai Royal Family. It is 190B for a combined ticket to see the Villa, the Gardens and the Hall of Inspiration.

We then asked our driver to take us somewhere where they served khao soi, and he took us to a fantastic roadside restaurant, 60B for the two of us.

We needed to be at the airport for 3, and we had seen on Friday night there was not much to see there, so we asked our driver if there was anything we could do for an hour. He suggested we go and visit a Long Necked karen village. My friend was a little unsure about this, but we decided to go. To begin with, I felt very intrusive and wished we hadn't gone, but in hindsight now I am glad we did. We were the only two people visiting the village - I think perhaps if I had been with a busful of people I would have felt uncomfortable - my favourite part was seeing the children play so happily together and just completely ignoring us! I found that very refreshing.

It was a fabulous weekend! If you are interested in looking at my photographs then please check:

bangkokgirlblog.com/2013/…

Anna

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
reviews: 124
1. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Anna:

Thanks so much for coming back onto the forum and sharing your experience with us.

The Black Temple certainly is a contrast to the White Temple. I enjoy both, especially the Master's Art Museum across the street from the White Temple. It sounds like they have added even more buildings to the Black Artist compound since I last visited. I will have to give it another look on my next trip.

I too love to Khao Soi when I am in the far north. I have now found a little Thai restaurant close to my home town that serves it! Blissful.

A lovely review

Broder

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
2. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Thanks for sharing Anna, it brings back fond memories.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Ko Tao
reviews: 44
3. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Thank for sharing Anna. I'm just starting my research for our first trip to CR in December and your JBR was very informative.

Lynds

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Great report and wonderful photos, thanks for sharing.

Vancouver
reviews: 21
5. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Hi Anna,

You've got an excellent blog site! That's what I need to create. I really enjoyed your pictures and also your comments on each of the places you visited. It's always good to get a different perspective on places I've been. Glad you enjoyed your trip! That was a great JBR. Thanks for taking the time...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
reviews: 38
6. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Thanks Anna. Enjoyed reading this.

Caroline.

Brisbane
reviews: 10
7. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Thanks Anna - I've enjoyed the Mae Fah Luang Garden twice now - and at different times of the year it can look quite different, as they replant it frequently - but always quite spectacular and a lovely oasis of peace. I was there this time exactly a month earlier than you.

W Yorks
reviews: 12
8. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Thank you everyone!

I am now on the hunt to find a great Khao Soi in Bangkok now I have developed such a liking for it :-)

Chiang Rai, Thailand
reviews: 44
9. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

Anna,

Thanks for sharing your weekend with us all. Great report

Hamzy

10. Re: Chiang Rai JBR 15-17 March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 25, 2014