We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day or overnight suggestion

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Noosa, Australia
reviews: 3
1 day or overnight suggestion

Hi, We are returning to Chiang Rai again in June 2013, and I am thinking about hiring a car to do a short 1 or 2 day trip. Is Pai worth visiting or should we head in a different direction. Would love to visit small towns or villages, good day or night markets with local wares, don't mind how basic it is as long as getting there isn't too dramatic. Can anyone suggest a 1 or 2 day trip ?

We will then be returning to Chiang Rai for a week or so to relax and wander round the city. Loved it last year and can't wait to come back.

Thanks in advance

MCG

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

I'd suggest Mae Hong Son, there Is nowhere else in Thailand like it, and the drive there is stunning.

Noosa, Australia
2. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

That sounds wonderful. Is there anywhere we should visit on the way ? Not really looking to visit waterfalls or gardens ?

lewes uk
reviews: 98
3. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

Hi,

If you are making your 1/2 day trip from Chiang Rai then I would suggest Mae Salong and possibly Tha Ton, the drive is spectacular and both places are quite unique. Or you could head east towards Chiang Khong.

I think that the drive to MHS from Chiang Rai would be too far for a day trip.

Cheers

Noosa, Australia
4. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

Thank you for your advice. Great suggestions and we will now plan accordingly. Both ideas sound good, so will decide how far/long we wish to go for.

Thank you so much. MCG

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
reviews: 126
5. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

Hi Melbourne Country Girl. Nice to see you back in the Chiang Rai forum.l

If I were doing an overnight trip from Chiang Rai I would also choose the drive to Mae Salong. It is a stunning drive, a great unique small town with a fair amount of hilltribes in the area and the women bring a lot of their handmade wears to the morning and day market. A beautiful 718 step climb to the King's Mother's shrine provides a rewarding remarkable view.

I'm visiting Mae Salong again just after the first of the year and will visit Thaton for the first time. I'll post a "live' report here on the forum, so stay tuned....

Safe Travels,

Broder

Noosa, Australia
6. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

Hi Broder,

We visited Chiang Rai after reading all your posts, and I have to say - have fallen in love with the place. We can't wait to return and enjoy the relaxed and friendly place and people. Chiang Mai is now too busy and touristy for us, so looking to experience more that the north has to offer.

Will be waiting with interest for your report as we are also interested in seeing Thaton, and wish you safe travels.

MCG

Wyong, Australia
reviews: 34
7. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

Hey MCG, as pointed out above the route south on the109, then right on the 1249 into Fang, Mai Ai, Tharton then a left on Highway 1234 Mae Salong and back to Chiang Rai, would be a nice drive without being too taxing.

I would suggest you say a night or two in Tharton, we were so impressed we'll make a special detour via a bus from Chiang Mai, then a boat to Chiang Rai, next year. :)

Have fun

oops! I forgot this

www.clickthai.de/Bilder/Karten/ThaiN70.gif

Edited: 4:25 am, December 18, 2012
Noosa, Australia
8. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

Hi Inaspin,

Great to see you on the forum and I want to say how much I have enjoyed your previous trip reports. Thank you very much for the route details, that sounds exactly what we are after. Also very thankful for the map- that will be well used.

I am looking forward to our next trip and am thankful for all the welcome advice.

Safe travels MCG

Wyong, Australia
reviews: 34
9. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

Thanks a lot MCG...that would be Tha ton or Thaton but never Tharton.

Have fun

10. Re: 1 day or overnight suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 20, 2013