We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 21
Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

My first day in Chiang Rai will be on my own, and then the next 2 days with a guide travelling, but that first day, I want to see the White Temple and other places in and around the town. How would I get out to White Temple, for example. Just flag down a tuktuk? and do I negotiate a rate with the driver or is there a set fee to get out there and back?

Wyong, Australia
reviews: 46
11. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Tha Ton, just tell him you want to see it from top to bottom but in reverse, that'll keep you busy for hours.

Wyong, Australia
reviews: 46
12. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Here's something that may be of interest.

http://www.wat-thaton.org/index-english.html

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 31
13. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

We went to the White Temple a few weeks ago by tuktuk.he drove us waited and drove us back...going 2 different ways.Pretty sure it was 150 baht for the 2 of us.

Vancouver
reviews: 21
14. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Hi Caroline.... Thanks for your suggestion of Baan Soontree. I just had a look at it on the AGODA site, read some reviews, and booked it for one night - yes, it's a bit far from the center of town but I can always get a tuktuk to the Saturday night market and walk from there to Clock Tower later on... Inaspin recommended a very good restaurant in town (in one of his postings on another thread) that I want to go to for dinner. Very nice Thai restaurant with lovely food... I wrote the name down somewhere when i first saw his posting, but don't know where I put it! I'll find it eventually. I've got written notes up the ying yang!

As for getting to the White Temple during the day, one of the reviews mentioned that this hotel has a driver so I could enlist his services to get out there and back. Other reviewers mentioned renting scooters from the hotel to get around - is the traffic less chaotic in Chiang Rai? I love riding scooters and would like to rent one, but after all the warnings and stories I've read about how dangerous it is, I'm unsure if I should rent one in CR or not... What do you think? It would just be to get from the hotel to the night market and places around town, and maybe out to the White Temple if there isn't much traffic and it would safe to do so? Otherwise, I'll just engage a tuktuk for town and a taxi or hotel driver to go to White Temple.

I like that Baan Soontree Hotel is quiet, and in a residential area; according to the reviews I read, the rooms are in individual small self-contained bungalows, spacious and the beds are quite comfy. Rate for a nite (tax included) is $35 - good value.

There were some good suggestions also from other posters, and hopefully, I will make another trip to this area and stay longer, and will keep these other places in mind as well. Thanks to all.

15. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 22, 2013