We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency for Burma

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tasmania
reviews: 84
currency for Burma

Hi fellow advisors!

we will be doing a day trip into Burma in June and I know we need a crisp $10 (american) bill for the crossing but if we wish to buy things at the market/buy lunch etc there what currency do we need for there. Also for the boat ride to the island in Laos done from the Golden Triangle too. Same things applies, currency for there too.

Thanks

Hell, Norway
reviews: 2
1. Re: currency for Burma

In Laos you can use Thai baht or US$, but any change is likely to b in Lao Kip.

I believe the market traders just inside the Burmese border will accept Thai baht also.

Antipodes
reviews: 121
2. Re: currency for Burma

I agree with DC's comments, the people of Tachilek (I guess that's where you're going) love the Thai Baht as much as the US$.

Wyong, Australia
reviews: 46
3. Re: currency for Burma

netteTasmania

You can use both, one or the other, I did.

inaspin

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
reviews: 124
4. Re: currency for Burma

Hi Annette:

In Tachilek, which is the border town on the other side of Mae Sai,Thailand, you can use baht. I've never changed currency in Tachilek and baht has always been appreciated and accepted by the vendors in the markets and shops, even as far out as 40 or 50 km.

I think you are going to be crossing into Laos to take boat ride at at Sob Ruak. This is where most people go when they say they are doing the "boat ride to Laos from the Golden Triangle." You will need baht here. They do not accept Kip, as you start and end the boat ride in Thailand (Sob Ruak is in Thailand). The vendors at the market on the Laos side all take and prefer baht also, so no need to exchange any currency from baht.

Have fun. Safe Travels,

Broder

Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 3
5. Re: currency for Burma

You have no problem using Thai baht there for anything you buy. Almost everybody there speak Thai as well.

tasmania
reviews: 84
6. Re: currency for Burma

thanks everyone. Good to know we won't need to be worrying about 2 or 3 different money currencys.

7. Re: currency for Burma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 17, 2010