We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phuket to samui [no flying]

Which Surat Thani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
phuket to samui [no flying]

Hi all,

Hope you can help me out. We are a group of 3 arriving dec 23 to phuket around 430pm. We really would like to be checked in at our accommodation in koh samui by lunch time thereabouts followed day xmas eve.

Our issue is there is no flights available. All those xmas flights looked booked out.

What's our chances of getting from phuket airport to Surat thani? We arrive at our 430. How long does it take?

I'm guessing we can get ferry easy xmas eve morning.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Private taxi be the best bet?

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

Did you check the flight/ferry combo availability with Nok Air and Air Asia from Bangkok to Samui? If not its quite a long trip from Phuket overland and by ferry, something in the region of 5-6 hours. Don't be too confident about ferries as December is peak season not only for foreign travellers but for domestic travellers too - you can probably get one but there might be a wait..

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 44
2. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

Hi

May I ask why you go to Phuket first but not to Surat Thani or koh Samui? If there's no flight available ( direct to koh samui both by Thai airs or Bangkok airs) you can travel by bus or trains down to Surat Thani then bus and ferry across to koh Samui.

If you don't already know as Tony says you can fly with either Nok airs or air Asia to Surat Thani and Nakon Sri Thammarat both offers airs + land + ferry.

However if you're already locked in to Phuket there's bus company that does bis and ferry combo to koh samui www.phantiptravel.com/

Cheers,

3. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

I have my flight all booked from Aus to Phuket. So we need to then get to samui the next day.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 174
4. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

Shame about the routing!!

You can if you plan carefully get to Samui by the next day.

As you are arriving pretty late into Phuket, then you can get a taxi from Phuket to Surat Thani / Dansak. It will take all night. Not sure I would want to trust my life to a thai taxi driver over night but hey, if you don't want to fly then it is the only option you have to catch a ferry the next morning! As the last bus to Surat Thani leaves at 4pm!!

Personally I would catch the last flight from Phuket to Samui that day, or stay overnight and get the early one in the morning!

A bit like your granny would say, please remember to say please and thank you to everyone as it is most welcome both here on the forum when asking a question and in Thailand!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
5. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

I think you will have to either over night in Phuket or Surat Thani. I don't think you will make it on time for ferry transfers ( even you hire private taxi from Phuket airport to Surat Thani).

The ferry depart from Donsak ( surat thani ) pier every hour to koh Samui from 06.00-17.00 hour.

Check out the ferry and speed boat here

www.rajaferryport.com/

www.seatranferry.com/

www.lomprayah.com/

Good luck

6. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

Thanks for all those responies.

I have no problems with flying its that there is none available for phuket to samui until 26hours later. I wonder if i could get a private car or taxi....any ideas on that cost? How far would it be if we left around 530pm to Surat thani that evening?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
7. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

I don't know how much would cost. It would take something between 3-4 hours by private car/ taxi to get to the pier. So I don't think you will make it to the ferry transfer the same day.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
8. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

For private car transfer check out these people www.orientalescape.com/thailand/transfer/

Edited: 7:18 am, November 18, 2012
9. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

Will look at taxi to Surat thani and stay over night there. And take the ferry the following morning. Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
10. Re: phuket to samui [no flying]

Oriental Escape as Sweetpea has advised offers you 2 choices, a car that will take you from where you overnight on Phuket to the pier, or, the same vehicle will take you across to Koh Samui right to where you are staying.

Don't head off that night as it will mean overnighting in Surat Thani, better to stay at a hotel on Phuket perhaps not too far from the airport and have them pick you up after breakfast, that would be an efficient way of doing. Not cheap, but cheaper than 3 air tickets would have costs you anyway !

even if they take you all the way to your hotel on Samui ( not ferry tickets for you driver and car not included but not much anyway )

Edited: 8:05 am, November 18, 2012