We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendas

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 5
Hotel Recommendas

I haven't been to Khoa Lak before but am considering it as part of a visit to Thailand. I've read many posts on the forum here which give me pause to rethink whether this place would be a good fit or not. Am looking for a quiet, beachy-type place that's low-key with nice, not too expensive restaurants & within walking distance of my hotel. I can't get a feel for the area when I search for hotels on TA using the map. Would like a moderate-priced place that's not too popular with families with children and that is not close to the very wide, busy highway I read about in someone's post. Could folks point me to an area they like the best and rather than use the place-name maybe list a couple of hotels in that area so I can find it on the TA map. Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 81
1. Re: Hotel Recommendas

Hi

Khao Lak is certainly "a quiet, beachy-type place that's low-key with nice, not too expensive restaurants & within walking distance of my hotel" depending in which area you stay.

Could I ask you to let us know when you are thinking of going and what your budget for accommodation is as prices are very much season dependent as is the weather.Dry Season is November to April with Peak Season mid-December to mid-January. Wet Season, May to October, accommodation prices are half or even less than Dry Season prices.

Could I also suggest you look at the maps in the Top Question FAQs on the right, particularly the latest ones in this link which are more "local" than the TA one tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

They should help you place accommodation from the comprehensive list by area in this link www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm

Hopefully these pics of all of Khao Lak's glorious beaches taken over the current Dry Season will help too tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k70…

I'm afraid you cannot avoid the highway if you stay near to one of the main two townships, Bang La On (Nang Thong Beach) and Bang Niang (Bang Niang Beach) as it runs right through the length of Khao Lak but that will only be if you wine, dine and shop away from the beach areas.

There are a few resorts which are Adult Only, the 4* Sensimar on Sunset Beach and th 4* Kantary and 5* Beyond Resorts on Pak Weeb Beach. Local (as opposed to group owned) bungalow resorts are smaller and tend not to have as many children. Popular and reasonably priced ones are Nang Thong Bay Resort (NTBR1) and Nang Thong Beach Resort (NTBR2) on Nang Thong Beach, Cousin Resort (where we stay), Ayara Villas and Furamar Resort on or just back from Bang Niang Beach.

Given your dates and budget will help with more suggestions.

Washington, DC
2. Re: Hotel Recommendas

Our trip would be next winter - probably in February 2015. What do you like about Cousins? And what is the cost/nt there during that time of year? What do you think of the Sands hotel and that general area?

Not really interested in a property marketed as "Adults Only" just want to steer clear of any place overrun with screaming children.

Would really like a place that had WiFi. We don't want to totally disconnect from the world.

warwickshire
reviews: 21
3. Re: Hotel Recommendas

Arandora you forgot Bangsak Village another Adult only hotel. :)

ViequesGuy, I'm no expert as I have only visited KL the once, back in January. I can only tell you about where we stayed, The Bangsak Village, which seems to tick most of your boxes. Our requirements were very similar to yours. The highway in this area is a lot less congested than the main townships. No children under 12 are allowed in the hotel and its on a very peaceful and beautiful beach. It is paradise! Read the reviews on the hotel, I think they are very fair and in the main, pretty accurate.

Now for what you may ( or may not) see as a down side, the restaurants. You can within 20 mins walk along the deserted beach, cross the creek and be seated in a choice of restaurants. For less touristy restaurants, head the other way and have a well earned beer in your hand after a 40 minute walk. ( I have written a review on Bangsak Village giving a bit more details on these restaurants) The problem can be the creek and whether the tide is up, but as long as you can cross to the restaurants, they will get you back. The other option is a 5 minute taxi ride.

One other thought, and that is with regards to families. You may stay in an adult only hotel BUT they are hard to avoid once you go to the local restaurants, saying that there are a lot less families if you choose to visit the restaurants to the right of the hotel.

Hope this might be of some help to you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Hotel Recommendas

The Cousin Resort is a simple, good value 2* bungalow resort with pool and restaurant, one road back from Bang Niang Beach and easy walking distances to a wide selection of restaurants and bars, small shops and the 3 afternoons a week big Bang Niang Market. Prices are on the website at http://www.cousinresort.com/ It has just had a new high speed fibre wi-fi network installed.

The 4* Sands is a large fairly new resort in a great location. The resort is direct beachfront on Bang Niang Beach with a great selection of local beach restaurants to the right within easy walking distance. The main entrance is on the highway at the northern end of Bang La On with great restaurants (Smile, Orchid Café, Tiffy's Café, Ma Ma Tonie's) immediately nearby and the rest of the restaurants, bars and shops down the road. The highway isn't "that" bad, honest! :-)

Washington, DC
5. Re: Hotel Recommendas

Thank you so much - this is very helpful. One more question (for now): What do you think of the Ramada Khao Lak Resort and its location?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Hotel Recommendas

Excellent resort in an excellent location. See pics at https:/…

The best of your options so far IMO. Reasons?

i) Ramada has better beach location, the best part of Bang Niang Beach.

ii) More beach restaurants nearby including closer to the ones to the right of the Sands which are to the left of the Ramada across the creek.

iii) Greater choice of different cuisines (Thai, regional Thai, Mexican,Japanese, German, Swedish) in Bang Niang most of which are NOT on the highway.

iv) Easy walk to Bang Niang Market.

Washington, DC
7. Re: Hotel Recommendas

Thanks Arandora! Very helpful info.

8. Re: Hotel Recommendas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 18, 2015