We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to thailand with kids

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hemiksem
reviews: 54
travelling to thailand with kids

Hi all,

we're planning a trip to thailand in end of juli start of august. We'll be travelling with 3 kids (9 - 10 - 12) kind of backpacking, but not on the go everyday of course.

I'm looking for other people that did a trekking through thailand with kids. We don't want to go with an organisation as we want to be free to do wathever comes up regardless of the plan we make up now.

We'll be arriving and leaving agian via Bankok. We will do some travelling of course but with the kids we'll try to avoid being on busses or trains or anything for whole days.

Any idea is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Axel

10 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 62
1. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Is Khao Lak included in your itinerary? If so, first July/August is the Wet Season on the West (Andaman) Coast which includes Phuket, Krabi and Koh Lanta also. Best weather for beaches is on the East (Gulf of Thailand) Coast which includes Hua Hin and Cha Am on the maunland and the islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Ko Tao. Where you go will determine the best method of transport with flying to Phuket being best for Khao Lak or Phuket and to Krabi for Krabi. Flights to Koh Samui are more expensive as will be accommodation as it is High Season there. You shouldn't underestimate the time it takes and distances involved in travelling between destinations so, without knowing how long your overall trip is, my advice is that with 3 kids you need to be realistic in what you want to do and where you want to go. If you want advice on accommodation an idea of your budget fdor accommodation, type and location you would prefer will help a lot as it will on any other forum you visit for similar help and advice.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, Thailand
reviews: 42
2. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Highly recommend looking at Phangan, Thong Nai Pan Yai would be an ideal choice - beautiful beach, plenty of bungalow accommodation, cheap eats etc, nice boat trips to other beaches, good weather in August, but do be aware that August can be busy as it's the European holidays and places do get booked up. Also recommend looking at Chiang Mai, we loved it there with our kids. Hua Hin nice little stop between Bangkok and the islands further south, as was Prachuap Khiri Khan. Our kids love an overnight train journey which you could do to either Chiang Mai or Surat Thani for Koh Phangan - if you're game.

Bromley Kent
reviews: 2
3. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Hi

Saw your post while we were away but were not able to easily post but now we are back I thought that I'd share some of our experiences of travelling with kids in Thailand!

We got back yesterday after being away from UK for 17 nights.

One thing that I would say is that the intense heat knocked the kids (8.5, 10.5 and 12) out for the first few days.

Our plans took us via Bangkok from a chilly London!

On Day 1 after the long trip we did Chatachak (had to as it was Sunday!) Day 2 was the Grand Palace and they really struggled to appreciate it all as they were so hot!

Day 4 we went to Khao Sok - great with kids but even though we flew down there it still took more than half day out of holiday.

Next location Khao Lak for 5 nights - so just a quick trip down the road for some fun and chilling at the beach - kids well acclimatised by now!

By the time we settled and saw what was around, we wanted to book a snorkeling trip but there was no availability for the price we wanted to pay.

We went from KL to Krabi for onward flight to Bangkok and connecting to Muscat Oman. With road trio=p, check in time and flying back to Bangkok this took another day in travel.

In Oman we had night in a desert camp and a couple of nights in the city before coming back to London.

Having a fixed itinerary may have been limiting but I did alot of research before hand (thanks to the wonderful Trip Advisor - and Arandorra) and so knew more or less where we wanted to go.

With so much choice in places, resorts and day trips I know that I would have spent the whole trip on line trying to get the best deal for the next part of the trip rather than enjoying "now" time (massage on beach - sunset watching - caving!!) and worrying if I have made the right choice!

You do not say how much time that you have( or if you have done this before) - if you only have a couple of weeks I would be inclined to pick 3-4 places and fix the bones of the trip (internal flights perhaps) - maybe then you can be a bit flexible with accomodation nearer the time.

We had a great trip and did alot of things - but I still feel we did waste a bit of time in transit! The kids really enjoyed it and I think it ranks better for them than the trip to Disney last year!

Good luck

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
4. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Great report of a well thought out, planned and, with three youngsters in tow, courageous trip. They are of an age though where I'm sure they will have appreciated the difference between the man made wonders of Disney to those of Mother Nature they experienced and the vastly different cultures. There was a gap of 25 years before we enjoyed the wonders of Disney and those of Thailand with our daughter.

Karlsruhe
5. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

River Kwai Family Camp - Kanchanaburi

We have been there long time ago with our kids - 5 and 7 years old.

It was one of the best experience in Thailand.

https:/…

http://sombatth.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/mrs-rhodes-สุดยอดผู้เข้มแข็งในห/

or have a look here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297924-d102861…

Karlsruhe
6. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Hi Axel,

Khao Lak also offers many activities for children:

www.t3x.de/adventure/Kinderprogramm.htm

Most of the excursions you can organize by yourself with a Taxi.

arctica
reviews: 8
7. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

When travelling with kids especially, I would go straight to a beach resort, and do Bangkok at the end of the holiday when kids and adults are acclimatised. If shopping in Bangkok is part of the plan, it is also more convenient to do that on the way home.

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
8. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Hi I'm planning a trip next year to Thailand with my husband and daughter who will then be 4. Is it an appropriate age to take her or will she just be bored?? Any help thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
9. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Khao Lak is essentially a beach resort and centre to trips and tours in and around. The most popular tours are snorkelling at the Similan or Surin Islands. Parents do take young children on such tours. Whether ones as young as 4 get real value out of these, I'm not sure. Others which are popular are elephant treks and visits to see turtles. Plenty of information on Things to Do in the Top Questions and on the right and pics of our albums of the popular tours and trips at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

You don't say when you are thinking of visiting but there are more things to do in the Dry Season between November and April which is when you get the best weather.

Ayr, United Kingdom
reviews: 23
10. Re: travelling to thailand with kids

Hi Daniellepoppy11,

I would ask what type of holiday are you looking for? We went in Jan/ Feb this year with a 3yr old & a 2 yr old & they had a fabulous time & still regularly talk about it. (My 3 yr old still randomly shouts 'Walkers Inn! Let's go there mummy! I love Walkers Inn!' 😍)

We had very much a chilled by the pool/ beach trip with the kids loving all the new experiences- taxis, geckos, food, smiling Thai people. We didn't do any trips with them mainly because our 2 yr old has the sense if adventure of Tarzan but not the practical ability to back it up so we thought it safer to wait untile was older. And we have booked to go back to khao lak in feb 2015 where I know they will love it again. We will prob take them on a few trips just for them to experience a bit more but they would love it with out too.

The one thing that really makes Khao Lak so good for young children is that the Thai people adore them and will go out their way to make kids feel welcome. My 2 yr old was like a rock star as we pushed him back to resort in the evening in his buggy & all the Thai ladies outside beauty/ massage places would shout hello & wave & then squeal with delight when he gave a royal wave & said 'A-o ladies!' In reply!

Reply to: travelling to thailand with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted