We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania Safari Dilemma

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guildford, United...
reviews: 20
Tanzania Safari Dilemma

We have been offered an opportunity to stay on a private estate in Kenya in November and thought that we would see if we could find a way to stretch to a combination of beach and safari having gone so far. The problem is that we're not wealthy and whilst we have a solution to much of the trip (eg Airbnb accommodation) the safari component at £500 per day for the two of us, still nearly doubles the cost of the trip. Travel wise, we still need to find a (one way) flight from Zanzibar to Arusha and another from Arusha (after the safari) to Naivasha (or have to double back either via Nairobi or Dar which would take out an entire day). Once at Arusha we wanted to spend say 4 days; one day at Tarangire, one day at Lake Manyara and 2 days at the Ngorongoro crater but we have no direct contacts and cannot seem to reduce the cost of the lodges/game drives/safaris sufficiently to make this viable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

16 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
reviews: 2
11. Re: Tanzania Safari Dilemma

Ask your guide to take you to hot water spring and the area around. Only few safari drivers visit that part of the park.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
12. Re: Tanzania Safari Dilemma

But Beate, only yesterday you were saying how much better it was to have no guide. "I know where to stop ".

:-) I am not being critical, just wantd to make a small point.

I think this comment explains why some people said it was better to have a guide sometimes.

If you only have one day somewhere, and you have travelled thousands of miles to get there, you want to get the most out of it. serendipity is wonderful, but sometimes it needs help.

Sorry for going offtopic. I'll get back to my penguins...

Munich
reviews: 3
13. Re: Tanzania Safari Dilemma

No, I don't agree.

Even with guide we wouldn't have had more time. And even with guide we couldn't go further south, because of the time.

And, believe me, when we don't see an animal, also a guide wouldn't see any. It happens so often that we show the animals to the guides who were driving by.

When we don't see an animal, there is no animal. We are very experienced game Driver.

And we didn't fly 1000s of Kilometer to go to Manyara, but to Serengeti. Lake Manyara was only a comfortable stop on our way. As you read, we had in total 3 weeks, 21 days of safari.

Beate

Edited: 7:34 am, August 05, 2014
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
14. Re: Tanzania Safari Dilemma

Yes we are getting off topic a bit but I think we should clarify a few points. You don't need a full day to get to the hot springs and back. And even just driving to the Hippo pool you pass lots of places where the animals are. Indeed down there is only mainly birds on the flats. You just did not look in the right places, guide or no guide.

I fear you did what many people do. Drive in, tour a few km assume there is nothing there and turn and leave.

Exactly how long did you stay in the park?

Don't pass the gates next time. Try again and this time persist. Manyara is never empty.

Back to globetrottingbrit.

Bristol
reviews: 47
15. Re: Tanzania Safari Dilemma

Yes I agree with Mfuwe. On our visit in October our guide suggested driving down to the hot springs in the south and this was easily drivable there and back in the day. We stopped plenty of times for game viewing (of which there was plenty) and had time for a leisurely picnic lunch. We have visited Manyara several times in September October and April. Always plenty to see if you know where to look. In October the main hippo pools were empty but there was plenty to be seen elsewhere. We also saw some snakes that we didn't see anywhere else and monitor lizards that were well over 1m in length. I love Manyara, I think it is completely different to any other park. I have a lovely picture of a reedbuck lurking in the water amongst the trees in the forested area.

Really where you visit depends on your itinerary and timescales. Manyara may or may not fit into this. It is not a place to be rushed and you do need to know where to look or you will end up with the sort of comments we have seen in some of the posts above.

Munich
reviews: 3
16. Re: Tanzania Safari Dilemma

Mfuwe,

we stayed in Lake Manyara NP from 10.00 h to 16.00 h. In this time we criss-crossed the park.

Beate

Reply to: Tanzania Safari Dilemma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted