We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

As a group of 4 we have justbooked a flight to Tanzania for mid Feb. We will fly to Kilimanjaro from Zanzibar and be in the region for 3 or 4 days. I appreciate it is a short stay and very last minute but do any of you African experts have any suggestions for how to get a feel for the area in such a short time? We are not exactly on a shoe string but can't really afford boutique-style safari. We would consider renting a four-wheel drive/guide.

I appreciate I haven't done my homework, but sometimes a few tips from those of you with inside knowledge is a great starting point.

Many thanks ...

6 replies to this topic
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
1. Re: 3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

Get a safari operator to take you to the Ndutu area of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. You will see millions of wildebeest having their calves, which also attracts a lot of predators. February is a great month to be on safari there, as this is when the great migration is concentrated into one area for calving. Long drive there, but well worth it. Stop off at the Ngorongoro Crater before going on. You won't have much time but this would be the way I would spend it if I only had a few days in February.

Istanbul, Turkey
2. Re: 3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

Karl .. thanks for your prompt and the helpful reply. I know its a whirlwind trip, but you have confirmed a plan we had in our minds. I don't know if this is the done thing or not, but do you have any operator recommendations or contacts? Lis

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
3. Re: 3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

Go to the Tanzania forum (you are on the Arusha forum) and look on the right side of the web page, you will see Top Questions about Tanzania. Click on the 4th question down, it will have links to quite a few suggested safari operators.

arusha
reviews: 2
4. Re: 3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

i just did a three-day safari for $450 USD - staying two nights in a low-budget hotel. It was all arranged through FOCUS IN AFRICA. The price covered the safari, hotel, breakfast and box lunch. We spent a day each in Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and Tarangire NP. If that's outside of your budget, you can do a day trip - Lake Manyara is probably best.

Chicago
reviews: 4
5. Re: 3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

I disagree. If I had a short time, and could choose just 1 park, it would be Tarangire, or Ngorongoro if I had a bit longer.For 3 days I would do both. Try to contact and plan with an operator before you get there, or do the homework and contact the company there, but do not just go with street vendors-it will cause problems, and many scams abound. I would suggest Eastco, Basecamp, Swala, Zara, or Sunny for a short trip.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 150
6. Re: 3 days in the area .... any suggestions?

I also disagree with MaryArusha. Do not in any way try to do 3 parks in 3 days. SciGuy25 has a good idea- Ngorongoro and Tarangire would be nice. Karl mentions correctly that In Ndutu region, the migration will be there calving a million babies. May be worth the quick trip over. Skip Manyara completely.

Reply to: 3 days in the area .... any suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted