We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha safe for single woman

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
reviews: 3
Arusha safe for single woman

my husband will be trekking up Kilimanjaro and I will be on my own for around 4-5 days. Will I be safe in Arusha and can anyone recommend a safe and friendly hotel/Lodge to stay.

25 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
11. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

I find it interesting that people will answer this question by saying yes it's safe then give you a list of things not to do or to do which all point to it not sounding safe.

I asked myself the same question when I went earlier this year and decided against staying there alone. Glad I decided against it.

There is also a difference between feeling safe and being bothered. The touts may not harm you but they can be bothersome, negatively affecting your time there. This is how I felt about Stone Town.

I agree with the posters recommending a trip to Tarangire.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 105
12. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Very good advice here. You should do a Safari, at least to Tarangire. Get a reliable taxi driver and get his phone number. A good one will pick you up from anywhere at any time. If you can't find one walk up to the German Boma, on the right hand side are usually some taxis. Ask for Makenna. Say John the teacher says hello.

Thetford, United...
reviews: 4
13. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Dear Karl,

taking up a teaching post in Arusha in the summer married with two kids any advice please!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
14. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Chris... what are you looking for advice on. I assume that you have already secured a place to teach at and that they will have somewhere for you to live while you are there. You will need a CTA stamp on your visa and that is good for 60 days (I believe), and the cost is $200 and is renewable. You cannot volunteer or be employed (volunteering is considered employment) on a regular visa, it is stamped No Employment.

Thetford, United...
15. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Hi Karl,

yes will be teaching at a school and have secured housing etc.. more interested in what the safety aspects are. I have two children who will be living on campus. I'm interested in advice about safety around the area really - in and out of town. Do you have any advice on this?

italy
reviews: 35
16. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Arusha is definitely safe, nothing to do with Nairobi and other African big cities.

The choice of the lodge depends on what you intend to do during your stay. Lodges in/near town allow you to walk around (Milimani, Ilboru); nicer lodges tend to be out of town, then you'll need a car to do anything (Karama, Moivaro, Honsea House, …)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
17. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Do you have malaria prophylaxis medication for everyone, if not you certainly need this. There are some who think that anyone with white skin will have money, and some will try to get some of this. Just use good street smarts, don't go out by yourself at night, take a taxi if you do go out. Make certain that you children know that they should not wander off anywhere. There are many who have their children there so you won't be alone in this. I think that one who posts on here a lot, Noexpert, has children grow up there. Most school campuses will have guards on them, especially at night. Don't be afraid, but do use good street smarts. Most Tanzanians will try to help protect young children.

Thetford, United...
18. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Many thanks all... we have been to Tanzania about a decade ago and without kids wasn't concerned then but having children makes you a bit more of a worrier!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
19. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

I know what you mean. I am rather fearless for myself and will go into places where many will not go. But I was also one of the world's most protective fathers for my children.

Thetford, United...
20. Re: Arusha safe for single woman

Want them to see the world and experience a continent I love but dont want to put them in harms way...Still I think on balance Arusha seems pretty safe given some basic common sense. Will be taking anti malarials though!

Reply to: Arusha safe for single woman
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted