We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari review - Calabash Adventures

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
71 reviews
Safari review - Calabash Adventures

Having just got back from yet another safari – out ninth African big game safari – I wanted to write a review about the company we used, Calabash Adventures.

Four years ago we wanted a budget safari for five days in Tanzania, and Calabash did such a great job of arranging this, that we thought we'd use them again. I am so glad we did, as this certainly was the best safari ever!

Calabash is a small, locally owned company and I am a firm believer in using someone who is there, 'on the ground' for my arrangements, as you get more local knowledge and someone who can sort out problems if there are any. Not that there were any problems, in fact the safari ran smoothly from start to finish.

We were really impressed with the tented camps (some permanent, some mobile), that Calabash chose for us (I left the choice entirely up to them, the only input I had was my budget). They seem to have got a real 'feel' for what we wanted. I didn't realise tents could be so luxurious! (and no, we didn't stay in the top star places, just middle of the road).

Dickson, our driver was amazing. Again. He seemed to always know where the best place for photography was (and a great spotter), was extremely knowledgeable about birds, animals, geology, history, culture and botany, and imparted the knowledge at the right time and place, making it such an interesting trip. Another thing I really liked about Dickson was his English – a great vocabulary and an easy-to-understand accent. He's also got a great sense of humour and became a really good friend.

I can wholehearted recommend Calabash to anyone who wants personal, friendly service combined with competitive prices. And no, I don't work for them..... hehe

http://www.calabashadventures.com/

52 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
33,504 posts
242 reviews
31. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

I take your point but would it not be more helpful to others to post your thoughts on here when you return? That way they are on record for us all.

arusha
1 post
32. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

ok

Yerevan
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
33. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

Planning to go to safari with Calabash Adventure in two days!! This is for the first time with that company!

I promise to write a detail report on safari. This kind of reports help a lot to all of us to identify relevant and reliable companies and made the right choice!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
33,504 posts
242 reviews
34. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

Safe journey and looking forward to your report.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
35. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

We have just got back from a few weeks in Uganda and Tanzania, part of which was spent on an excellent safari trip with Calabash. It was this post that originally introduced me to them and I followed it up with some communication with the OP who was incredibly helpful and went out of her way to give us lots of advice. I also contacted several other people who had been with Calabash and the responses were consistently positive. So we had great hopes for the 6 days we had booked and we weren't disappointed. Our guide, Wilson, was amazing - really knowledgeable, friendly, polite - everything you could want from a guide. We saw everything we were hoping to see and lots of the wildlife up really close. The communication and organisation with the company was great and we were really pleased with all the accommodation arranged for us . I had forgotten a pick-up from the airport was included with Calabash, and had arranged it with the guest house we were staying in. So Tillya came over especially the evening before we left, to introduce Wilson and talk us through the trip. We went on safari with our three girls and they loved every minute. I can't recommend the company highly enough and would be happy to give more info if anyone wants to pm me.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
71 reviews
36. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

I am so glad you enjoyed it and as always feel slightly envious when someone goes on safari. Hopefully my time will come (again) some time reasonably soon. Good job!

Nepi, Lazio, Italy
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
37. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

hello my name is fabio and usually I wrote in italian forum (like vuvuzela) about tanzanian experience trips.

I go to tanzania tanzaniafor 8 years sometime also in 2 times per year and the first trip I knowed tillya and the first trips I've always known calabash I've always used only the calabash.

with Tillya me and my wife maked many safari also on a remote and wild tanzanian places, without problem and with a excellent support, experience, safety and very good organization.

The company isn't big, ut the drivers, cars, campig tool and the tillya experience are big.

I seen all national park and more unknowed parts of tanzania, my last trip was in september in a wonderfull trip ring from northern Serengeti through the rift valle until tarangire ywere for the first time I touch my dream (after many years) meeting with a big piton! That's just to speak about one of the many good experience in several years with calabash.

I hope that my intervention will be useful to those who have yet to visit this beautiful country

Yerevan
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
38. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

A couple of months ago I promised to post my review on Calabash adventures. So here it is. Tanzania is an extremely amazing country. Fantastic nature with unbelievable views forced you to forget about any inconveniences and problems you faced during your travel. We (I mean my family) arranged a private 5 days tour.

National parks are fantastic Serengeti is unbelievably beautiful and in Ngorongro crater park like a piece of untouched nature, which you probably can't find anywhere else.

Calabash did its best, but my advice is to speak over every single detail to make sure that you got relevant things for your money. We asked to reserve Serena hotels in all parks and they did it. but as in majority the hotel are African style luxury bungalows, make sure that they reserve first floor for you to have balconies with fantastic views as on ground floor you can't seat outside. we had elephant, buffalo under our balcony early in the morning and in the evening. I am not sure you want to share your morning coffee with these nice creatures!

Do follow up with Calabash, as my first night in park started with a half of an hour negotiation to get the accommodation we requested.

Wilson is great and deserves more than just to be a driver. He is very knowledgeable, polite and quite. We had minor problem with the car and he very quickly and easily found solution, and It was clear that he was aware about that problem, but they continued to use the car instead of repairing.

But all negative memories disappear very quickly after the safari, the only thing you will remember is Hippo pull with hundreds of hippopotamuses, tens of crocodiles, and huge endless groups of giraffes, elephants, superstar big cats sleeping and hiding in the trees etc.

Calabash is reliable and safe in comparison with some over companies we used for some over travels in Africa, like Skylink travel and tour. We had miserable experience with the in winter 2012.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
52 posts
70 reviews
39. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

It's sounds great to me. We are four persons planning to visit Tanzania next year for a seven day safari among other things. I've been in contact with Calabash Adventures and they have replied rapidly to my questions. I've got a good impression of this company but I think it's very important to get reviews from people who have already been on a safari with the company.

40. Re: Safari review - Calabash Adventures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:36 pm, May 15, 2014

Reply to: Safari review - Calabash Adventures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted