We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-6 day programme from Negombo

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Samara, Russia
5-6 day programme from Negombo

Hey guys, I'm going to Negombo alone in the middle of February for 7-9 days, so I'm trying to build-up 5-6 days schedule, including wild-life, some historical places, something active, or whatever. Just want my trip to be balanced, without hard rushing.

Could you advice something?

+ are there any places to amuse in Negombo during the evening/night?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 133
1. Re: 5-6 day programme from Negombo

Hi Nick,

I'd say 2 nights Habarana (including jeep safari in a wildlife park), 2 nights in Kandy (history and culture) and 1-2 nights Kitulgala for the hill experience and adventure including raft. Tea plantation visit, if needed, can be around Kandy or on your way to Kitulgala.

Doing this by buses can _just_ be done, having a driver makes it all more smooth and time-efficient but of course is much more expensive.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Samara, Russia
2. Re: 5-6 day programme from Negombo

Thanks much for yout advice! Actually I know only 1 place among mentioned ones (Kandy), so think I'll decide right at the place.

By the way, is it convinient to use public transport in Sri-Lanka? I've tried one in Thailand, and it seemed to be pretty nice.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 133
3. Re: 5-6 day programme from Negombo

Hi Nick,

Lots and lots worse than in Thailand (and India). But if you accept 50-60% slower travel than with car-driver, and being forced to carry little luggage especially for the buses, it does the job...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Negombo, Sri Lanka
reviews: 8
4. Re: 5-6 day programme from Negombo

Day 1, Negombo-Pinnawala-Kandy,

Start at 8.30 am from Negombo to Elephant orphanage. On the way through coconut plantations, Roofing tile factories, rubber plantations and paddy fields reach the elephant orphanage to see them in the river. At 1.15pm see the feeding of baby elephants and leave the orphanage. Then if you like you can stop at the place where you can ride elephants and then to a Spice gardens , These gardens are famous from the Dutch period and through Kadugannawe pass reach Kandy city and see the view point and then to The Kandyan dance show at 5.30pm and the temple of the tooth relic of Buddha at 7:15 pm at the ceremony time. Overnight stay in Kandy.

Day 2, Kandy-Nuwaraeliya

Start 8:30 am Visit Botanical garden (best garden in Asia), a gem museum, Batik factory and gallery and On the way plenty of pictures of the tea plantations and ladies picking tea leafs and a tea factory to see the process, and through Ramboda waterfalls, proceed to Nuwaraeliya. Overnight stay in Nuwaraeliya.

Day 3, Nuwaraeliya-Ella

Start in the morning after breakfast from hotel Visit Nuwaraeliya city (so called little England, English planters city), colonial hotels, Race course, Victoria park, Golf links, the post office building and do some walking around the city. Seetha temple and Hakkgala Botanical gardens and proceed to Ella. Overnight stay in Ella.

Day 4, Ella- Tissamaharama.

Start 9:00 am

Before leaving Ella ,watch the magnificent view of Ella valley and then Rawana waterfalls and then in Wellawaya manual pottery manufacturer to see how they do the molding by hand and proceed to Tissamaharama. Have a small break before starting the safari.

3:00pm Start from the hotel by jeep to visit the Yala national park. Overnight stay in Tissamaharama.

Day 5, Tissamaharama- Unawatuna.

Start 8:00 am

The driver will drive through south coastal road passing Tangalle, Matara and see the stilt fisherman in Weligama and reach Unawatuna for beach stay. Overnight stay in Unawatuna.

Day 6, Unawatuna-Beach stay.

Leave Unawatuna in the morning visit Galle fort and Turtle conservation project in Kosgoda and reach Bentota and end the tour.

Edited: 5:46 am, March 12, 2013
5. Re: 5-6 day programme from Negombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Negombo