We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Galle worth visiting?

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 35
Is Galle worth visiting?

I read somewhere that there is a growing artist and expat community in Galle and that it is an interesting place to spend a few days. I have also read that there is really nothing of interest there except for the fort. I already decided not to stay in the city but to stay at Unawatuna. However, I wonder how much time I should plan to go into Galle and if there are galleries, coffee/tea cafes,etc. I'm not really looking for specific sites, just neighborhoods that may have the above. Any insight will be appreciated.

Longleat

Scotland
reviews: 156
21. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

I have to say we really liked Galle and both commented on the total lack of hassle there. We found it really laid back, quiet and full of interesting shops, galleries and nice places to eat and drink. So good we visited twice. Once during the afternoon and then early evening. We were there early last week.

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 44
22. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

I had to change my plans to visit Galle as the hotels are way too expensive. Hikkaduwa was on the same lines, almost usd 300/nite. Not worth the spend.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
23. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

You can find cheaper accommodation in both Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
24. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

You can find cheaper accommodation inside the Galle Fort as well. There maybe just one or two properties that advertise for over 300$ a night, during the peak season. I've seen plenty of guest houses available for less than $40.

For 150$ a night, you can have your pick of good hotels.

25. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 12, 2015